need advice...

ISU

Location (City and/or State)
South Korea
Hello. I am sorry for asking too many questions.

I raise a leopard tort.

Humidity is maintained at around 80 percent and temperatures do not drop below 80 degrees at night.

I use colopeat as a substrate.

But I raise the humidity to 80%, and I think my tortoises do not fall asleep easily.

She slept well in the corner when she kept 60% of the information wrong.

And now in an 80% humidity environment, She's been scratching the wall for 30mins and circling around where she usually sleeps. (now is the time in Korea when she is sleeping).

I'm worried if this is normal or if I did something wrong.

Thank you for any reply.

* She scratched the wall for about half an hour and just now fell asleep. *

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pictures would help but might be that she is just happier about the higher humidity and doesnt need to just hide away in the corner.

ISU

South Korea
Pictures would help but might be that she is just happier about the higher humidity and doesnt need to just hide away in the corner.
thanks for reply. i uploaded the pic

It's been about 12 hours and she eats very well!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to get rid of that coil light asap they can cause eye problems and have in many tortoise. Get a tube uvb light. Also move the thermostat down to tortoise height you have it a bit too high. Then make adjustments to temp and humidity if needed.

ISU

South Korea
You need to get rid of that coil light asap they can cause eye problems and have in many tortoise. Get a tube uvb light. Also move the thermostat down to tortoise height you have it a bit too high. Then make adjustments to temp and humidity if needed.

I moved the thermostat downwards. Thank you. I think Korea's reptile forum is much younger than here and I can't find problems with coil uvb and so on. Is it a serious problem?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I moved the thermostat downwards. Thank you. I think Korea's reptile forum is much younger than here and I can't find problems with coil uvb and so on. Is it a serious problem?
Yes, it can blind your tortoise.
A few years ago they recalled them and supposedly fixed them. The sad thing is we are still seeing the same problems over and over. You can do a search on this forum and find all kinds of threads of tortoises with eye problems and 99% of them are using the coil bulbs.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
...I can't find problems with coil uvb and so on. Is it a serious problem?

This site has cataloged UV data on the original compact bulbs (they promised updates in 2017, presumably for the 'repaired'-but still concentrated-tech, but no updates have been posted):
Case studies:
Bulb test results:

To be fair, any high-intensity bulb can injure captive critters:

More is not necessarily better. Consider carefully the types of heat and light fixtures you want to use, make sure they have been placed properly, and make sure your torts have zones where they can hide from constantly-intense beams.

This does not necessarily correlate to your observation that your tort's behavior has changed with an increase in humidity. You may need a few more days-and-nights of observation to get a clear sense of what's happening there. Many tortoises like to dig a bit of a burrow to sleep in, especially if the want to be a bit more hidden or cool overnight.

ISU

South Korea
Yes, it can blind your tortoise.
A few years ago they recalled them and supposedly fixed them. The sad thing is we are still seeing the same problems over and over. You can do a search on this forum and find all kinds of threads of tortoises with eye problems and 99% of them are using the coil bulbs.

I use the bulb from Exoterra. I'm looking for the bulb that you said, but most ppl in Korea use the coil type. I'll keep looking for it. .Thanks!

ISU

South Korea
This site has cataloged UV data on the original compact bulbs (they promised updates in 2017, presumably for the 'repaired'-but still concentrated-tech, but no updates have been posted):
Case studies:
Bulb test results:

To be fair, any high-intensity bulb can injure captive critters:

More is not necessarily better. Consider carefully the types of heat and light fixtures you want to use, make sure they have been placed properly, and make sure your torts have zones where they can hide from constantly-intense beams.

This does not necessarily correlate to your observation that your tort's behavior has changed with an increase in humidity. You may need a few more days-and-nights of observation to get a clear sense of what's happening there. Many tortoises like to dig a bit of a burrow to sleep in, especially if the want to be a bit more hidden or cool overnight.

I understood what u said. Thank u for reply!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use the bulb from Exoterra. I'm looking for the bulb that you said, but most ppl in Korea use the coil type. I'll keep looking for it. .Thanks!
The proof is within many threads and/or posts on this forum. Try if you can to get the people in Korea to stop using them.