Need Help!! (bubbly nose)

mishty18

Location (City and/or State)
India
Hello, I am new here!
I recently found a star baby tortoise and I brought it home.. but then after some days i found bubbles from her nose and then watery eyes and it was also swollen.. Then i took her to Vet and he injected her yesterday and i don’t know how he injected but blood came out from there and then after blood also came out from her nose.. I was so worried last night and then in morning i noticed foam type water from her mouth and since that she is barely opening her eyes.. and i am worried what to do? Is there anything i can do??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
foaming from the mouth usually indicates either poisoning or overheating. I would suggest to place the baby in warm water and let her soak for about a half hour.

Please post pictures of the enclosure and lights where you keep the baby.

mishty18

India
foaming from the mouth usually indicates either poisoning or overheating. I would suggest to place the baby in warm water and let her soak for about a half hour.

Please post pictures of the enclosure and lights where you keep the baby.

Foaming started just today in the morning after vet injected her yesterday night... and as I live in part of India which is very hot and day temperature crosses above 45 degree i am kepping her indoor these days in my room... And yes I soak her in water everyday for about 45 minutes... But my vet thinks she may have pneumonia...☹️

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Almost always, when there is a problem with young tortoises, it is because of the "Climate" you are creating for them. Too cold, too dry, too hot, etc, etc.

Think of how a tortoise grows... It starts inside an egg that is inside a nest dug by the mother. To grow it needs the protection of the egg to keep it with plenty of water and the correct temperatures. IN the egg it is 100% humidity! The mother digs a nest to put the egg in that is totally sealed and capped with a mud cap she creates after releasing water into the nest chamber to keep humidity up for the eggs. To develop the embryo needs to be close to 86° (30°C) or it will stop developing and die. Upon hatching, a young tortoise does not magically go from that situation to being able to survive in conditions much different than that!! So, When it hatches, it cannot go directly from that environment to other extremes. Young tortoises are masters at finding micro-climates it can survive in. A vast majority of the time, weather conditions do not cooperate, and the young tortoise dies. What it does need to find is a place it can hide, protected from temperature extremes and where it can stay moist and not dry out. It still needs as close to 86° as possible to grow and survive. It sill needs plenty of moisture to keep from drying out as a small tortoise can loose both heat and moisture quickly if not protected. It' first few years, it spends under leaf litter, dug into moist soil under plants, dug into the edges of streams in the mud... all places it can find to keep as close to 86° and moist as possible. It also needs to feel secure and covered/protected. Hidden under plants or under cover. Otherwise it will feel stress as it naturally needs to find these places and constant stress leads to illness. Once a tortoise is large and has more body mass, it can survive longer and longer periods where it is exposed to lower temperatures and drier conditions until it has to find cover again and get its body back to 86° and moist, optimal conditions.

IN captivity we must therefore think of providing the tortoise with the optimal conditions it needs as it is forced into remaining in the conditions you put it into and is confined and cannot find a better spot!! It needs 86° and moist conditions! The more it is forced to stay outside of those parameters - the more it will suffer and the quicker it will deteriorate and eventually die. Since it cannot pick and find the conditions it needs it is totally up to you to be sure you give it to your tortoise. Only then can the proper diet and water and UVB even start to be utilized by the young tortoise so it can grow and remain healthy.

Is your tortoise being kept in a place where it is 86° and 80% humidity at least 90% of the time? If not, that is the recipe for becoming ill. And it will not get better if it is not in those conditions.

So a tortoise keepers, our job is first to create the proper climate. Then add water, good diet with the needed vitamins and minerals, Proper UVB exposure, and a secure environment where it can both hide, and exercise.