Need Help Identifying These Tortoises

JakeSnake9502

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago Illinois, USA
Hey everyone my buddy has given me two Tortoises to keep. They are a breeding pair and he wants me to breed them. He says he doesn't know what tortoise they are but he said he will provide food and everything financial thing they need because he just wants one baby. So it's my job to breed them but here they are does anyone know what Tortoises these are? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1501650146.390800.jpg

JakeSnake9502

Chicago Illinois, USA
I didn't mean to say they were mine I don't even know why I said that I thought maybe faster response but they aren't mine I'm wondering what type they ate

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey everyone my buddy has given me two Tortoises to keep. They are a breeding pair and he wants me to breed them. He says he doesn't know what tortoise they are but he said he will provide food and everything financial thing they need because he just wants one baby. So it's my job to breed them but here they are does anyone know what Tortoises these are? View attachment 214293

Yes, they are Spider Tortoises, Pyxis arachnoides, but there are three subspecies of arachnoides which can be identified by looking at the plastron. P. a. arachnoides has a plain yellow plastron, the front of which will close all the way to touch the carapace like that of a box turtle. P. a. oblonga can also close the front of its plastron completely to touch the carapace, but it has a yellow plastron with black markings. P.a. brygooi has a plain yellow plastron which is only partially able to close (if at all), and will not be able to touch the carapace when closed.

The brygooi seem to be the most commonly seen of the three these days and are also on the smaller side. How big are these two? Maybe a photo with a ruler in it would help further ID them. Can you get a photo of the bottom shells of these tortoises? Maybe you have two of different subspecies.

While doing the above, check to see if one or both are able or unable to close the front of the plastron all the way up.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, they are Spider Tortoises, Pyxis arachnoides, but there are three subspecies of arachnoides which can be identified by looking at the plastron. P. a. arachnoides has a plain yellow plastron, the front of which will close all the way to touch the carapace like that of a box turtle. P. a. oblonga can also close the front of its plastron completely to touch the carapace, but it has a yellow plastron with black markings. P.a. brygooi has a plain yellow plastron which is only partially able to close (if at all), and will not be able to touch the carapace when closed.

The brygooi seem to be the most commonly seen of the three these days and are also on the smaller side. How big are these two? Maybe a photo with a ruler in it would help further ID them. Can you get a photo of the bottom shells of these tortoises? Maybe you have two of different subspecies.

While doing the above, check to see if one or both are able or unable to close the front of the plastron all the way up.
Not very likely.
The OP took this photo off the internet.