Need help IDing a hatchling

GreatTortoise

5 Year Member
Hi folks,

Through a series of unusual events, my wife and I have taken in two redfoot hatchlings. One of them, pictured on the right, looks just like our other 2 year old redfoots. The one on the left though looks very different. I'm fairly certain he isn't a cherryhead because their coloration is supposed to be much brighter. Can anyone enlighten us as to what kind of redfoot this little fellow is.

Once again, the little one on the right looks like our other two redfoot tortoises. What kind of redfoot is the one on the left?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 35

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi folks,

Through a series of unusual events, my wife and I have taken in two redfoot hatchlings. One of them, pictured on the right, looks just like our other 2 year old redfoots. The one on the left though looks very different. I'm fairly certain he isn't a cherryhead because their coloration is supposed to be much brighter. Can anyone enlighten us as to what kind of redfoot this little fellow is.

Once again, the little one on the right looks like our other two redfoot tortoises. What kind of redfoot is the one on the left?
it def looks like a red foot, he just has some blushing in his shell color, he might have some trace of albino or something similar , one of the members will know exactly what he is

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
They are both Redfoots......One tell tell marking of cherries even at hatchling stage will be the start of a Black variegated/marbled plastron (underside). The carapace coloring do and will vary among species of redfoots, but as a reminder the also will change to different Hues of that color as the tortoise matures. There is no albino or Hypo anything going on within it's gene code....it's just in fact a lighter phase.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Both Redfoots. They can vary vastly in coloration. What's standing out to me is that they are that small at two years old, do you have UVB light on them?

Here is an example of how much they can vary.
image.jpg

GreatTortoise

5 Year Member
Both Redfoots. They can vary vastly in coloration. What's standing out to me is that they are that small at two years old, do you have UVB light on them?

Here is an example of how much they can vary.
View attachment 89613
Our two year olds are much larger and not pictured here. These two are just hatchlings that were handed over to us because their original owner didn't know they required so much attention and upkeep. And yes we do keep UVB and make sure they all also get plenty of natural sunlight with heavily supervised outdoor trips.

GreatTortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the information. We weren't overly concerned. It is clearly a redfoot and he seems very healthy, with the typical redfoot appetite, healthy bowel movements, etc. We have just not encountered a redfoot with his coloration.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Our two year olds are much larger and not pictured here. These two are just hatchlings that were handed over to us because their original owner didn't know they required so much attention and upkeep. And yes we do keep UVB and make sure they all also get plenty of natural sunlight with heavily supervised outdoor trips.
Ah I gotcha ok. Was a bit worried for a minute there.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Great examples Kelly ........and for the OP another example. Here are ALL cherries....Different Shades ....