Need Help In Dimensions Of An Enclosure.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I am planning to make a new wooden enclosure for Oli. I have just checked how much space I have, and the maximum space I can 'afford' is: 130 x 90cm. I do realize that the bigger the enclosure the better, as these cute little animals are used to living in the wild with no boundaries what-so-ever. But at the same time I cannot make it any bigger, as my flat is small as is: I need to be able to move. Therefore, please understand me here.

I'd like to ask: what would be the appropriate height of an enclosure? I read in a thread it should be quite high, so as not to allow the tort to see anything outside, and as a result it would want to climb out. Is this true? And if so, how high should it be?

Your suggestions, help, tips would be highly appreciated asap.

Thank you.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I am planning to make a new wooden enclosure for Oli. I have just checked how much space I have, and the maximum space I can 'afford' is: 130 x 90cm. I do realize that the bigger the enclosure the better, as these cute little animals are used to living in the wild with no boundaries what-so-ever. But at the same time I cannot make it any bigger, as my flat is small as is: I need to be able to move. Therefore, please understand me here.

I'd like to ask: what would be the appropriate height of an enclosure? I read in a thread it should be quite high, so as not to allow the tort to see anything outside, and as a result it would want to climb out. Is this true? And if so, how high should it be?

Your suggestions, help, tips would be highly appreciated asap.

Thank you.
I don't know how high is high enough for your species. So you have got about 4x3ft of space. Just a suggestion, could you put a 2nd tier in over half the enclosure. So effectively giving your tort 6x3ft.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't know how high is high enough for your species. So you have got about 4x3ft of space. Just a suggestion, could you put a 2nd tier in over half the enclosure. So effectively giving your tort 6x3ft.
Thanks very much your prompt answer. Appreciate it.;)

Oli :<3: is a Greek tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Stand Oli up on his hind legs and measure his 'reach' if he were standing with his back legs extended and reaching with his front legs. you want the sides to be taller than his reach. And don't forget to add about 4" for substrate. So if the tortoise can reach 7" you want the sides to be at least 11" tall.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you both very much for your help.:D

Will check Oli's size and inform you immediately.:tort:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Just checked Oil's :<3: size whilst standing on his hind legs. He is 20cms or 8 inches 'high' whilst standing. Any other info I can send you?

Thanks again your help.;)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Just one more suggestion.
When I build an inside enclosure , I think about how high off the substrata I need to hang my lamps.

Also will it be an open or closed top table. Makes a difference since with closed chambers the lights have to be inside to get full UV

A UVB or CHE needs some distance to avoid burning the shell. 14" is my minimum from the lamp to the substrata.

I also construct a bar across the top to hang lamps straight down rather than clapped to side. This seems to provide both safety and better heat / UV & lighting.

One way to do this is to construct a roof like frame over the table. ( a peaked roof ) You can use 1x2 , PVC pipe , probably many other things. Then I can hang my lights from the " roof" beam and adjust the distance easily by raising or lowering the lamp cord. Also enclose it easily with plastic or plexiglass for a closed chamber to keep in humidity / heat. If I want.

The 2 tier build takes some thought but is very doable. You just need a ramp for him to move between floors.
Ramp needs sides so he doesn't topple off.

This may all sound very complex , but doing something like this will pay dividends in the end - last longer , avoid health problems , and you'll have an active tort

Good fortune to you.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I noted you say he is 8" high when standing. In that case you will need higher sides for sure.

When he is sitting right under a heat lamp , the top of his shell should be no closer than 12" from it. And the wattage of the lamp matters.

With a lazer heat gun I check temp on top of shell directly over the tortoise once he's sat the for 5+ minutes.

If it is over 100f I raise the lamp or get smaller wattage.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just checked Oil's :<3: size whilst standing on his hind legs. He is 20cms or 8 inches 'high' whilst standing. Any other info I can send you?

Thanks again your help.;)
Have you got someone to help you build this enclosure? Just thinking about the weight of it when constructed.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Just one more suggestion.
When I build an inside enclosure , I think about how high off the substrata I need to hang my lamps.

Also will it be an open or closed top table. Makes a difference since with closed chambers the lights have to be inside to get full UV

A UVB or CHE needs some distance to avoid burning the shell. 14" is my minimum from the lamp to the substrata.

I also construct a bar across the top to hang lamps straight down rather than clapped to side. This seems to provide both safety and better heat / UV & lighting.

One way to do this is to construct a roof like frame over the table. ( a peaked roof ) You can use 1x2 , PVC pipe , probably many other things. Then I can hang my lights from the " roof" beam and adjust the distance easily by raising or lowering the lamp cord. Also enclose it easily with plastic or plexiglass for a closed chamber to keep in humidity / heat. If I want.

The 2 tier build takes some thought but is very doable. You just need a ramp for him to move between floors.
Ramp needs sides so he doesn't topple off.

This may all sound very complex , but doing something like this will pay dividends in the end - last longer , avoid health problems , and you'll have an active tort

Good fortune to you.
Thanks v much your help as well as your detailed message.Appreciate both.:)

Would you please be kind enough to send me a pic of a suitable enclosure? I've been searching on the net and I've seen so many great enclosures, however I do not know what would suit OLI.:rolleyes:

Thank you.;)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Have you got someone to help you build this enclosure? Just thinking about the weight of it when constructed.
No, not someone I know. But I went to a nearby place ('pet store' so as to say), and asked if he could build an enclosure for my tort. 'Yes. Just give me the measurements: width, length and height,' he said. And as you see it's the height that has stopped me from moving.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I don't currently have one done like this - been lazy :)
But working in one for cooler weather here for a small Redfoot.

I'll send you some pics when done

Here it is so far , now I need to build the "roof".

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444754106.897204.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
No, not someone I know. But I went to a nearby place ('pet store' so as to say), and asked if he could build an enclosure for my tort. 'Yes. Just give me the measurements: width, length and height,' he said. And as you see it's the height that has stopped me from moving.
Ok. I think mikes idea is better for you. A peaked(apex) frame above your enclosure. So you can hang heat,lights from it, like Mike said this gives you options to make it open or closed system. In your climate you may want it open in the height of summer.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Where are you from ?
I know here in Florida , if I needed help a simple ad on Criags list would bring a mature carpenters out of the wood work.

I forgot to mention one other improvement to a wood enclosure. Painting the inside with a product called Dryloc. Keeps wood preserved and avoids rot.

I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Where are you from ?
I know here in Florida , if I needed help a simple ad on Criags list would bring a mature carpenters out of the wood work.

I forgot to mention one other improvement to a wood enclosure. Painting the inside with a product called Dryloc. Keeps wood preserved and avoids rot.

I can't wait to see what you come up with :)
Alright, I'll keep that in in mind, thank you.:D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi. Are the dimensions I mentioned fine for OLI's :<3: size?

And what of the height of the enclosure?

Your suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.:)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Height.
I presume you are going to use a UVB , CHE , or strip light of some kind.

In inches I would figure it this way

4". Substrata
14" minimum to hanging light.
That's 18".
If it were me , I would build the sides up 24" with a cross board down the middle to hang lights from and adjust the height to regulate temperature or

Build sides 18" with a peaked roof frame to hang lights on and make it easy to adjust height and enclose if you want.

Temp control is important

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Height.
I presume you are going to use a UVB , CHE , or strip light of some kind.

In inches I would figure it this way

4". Substrata
14" minimum to hanging light.
That's 18".
If it were me , I would build the sides up 24" with a cross board down the middle to hang lights from and adjust the height to regulate temperature or

Build sides 18" with a peaked roof frame to hang lights on and make it easy to adjust height and enclose if you want.

Temp control is important
Hello and many thanks your help. Appreciate it.:)

Yes, I'm using a UVB light.

I do see your point as far as hanging a light is concerned. However, I very much doubt that the carpenter is going to understand that, let alone get it done.:mad:

Alaskamike

South Florida
Anyone that calls themselves a " carpenter" should easily able to build one just with a picture or description.

I'll be getting mine completed this week and I'll send a picture here.

There are many ways to build them. Mine is simple and utilitarian
You certainly don't have to use my ideas.

But it will be done by Friday - I should be able to find the time.