Need help on Humidity please

KNC7

Hello! I just started an indoor enclosure for my torts. They were on a tortoise table before. I have rads and sullies..the substrate I use is coco peat. I am having a difficult time going about 65% humidity..is there anything else I can do besides misting regularly?

Thanks,
Kara

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hello! I just started an indoor enclosure for my torts. They were on a tortoise table before. I have rads and sullies..the substrate I use is coco peat. I am having a difficult time going about 65% humidity..is there anything else I can do besides misting regularly?

Thanks,
Kara

A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Are the enclosures made of glass? If so, please allow me to say that glass is NOT recommended for torts; as they do not understand the concept. They'd keep trying to get out, and this would cause stress. :(

(Sorry; I do not mean to let you down/upset you. I am only trying to give you advise). :)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I have no issue with glass. Never had a tort or turtle with an issue. In fact, I prefer glass for many reasons, like keeping in humidity without mold, swelling or bowing. Plus I can see my pets.

Air flow kills humidity. I can't see from the pics, but how many spaces are there for your warm humid air to escape?

KNC7

Hi Gillian,

It's plexiglass and I put a sticker in the bottom and I'm adding another layer so they cannot see through.

Thanks!
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Are the enclosures made of glass? If so, please allow me to say that glass is NOT recommended for torts; as they do not understand the concept. They'd keep trying to get out, and this would cause stress. :(

(Sorry; I do not mean to let you down/upset you. I am only trying to give you advise). :)

KNC7

I have no issue with glass. Never had a tort or turtle with an issue. In fact, I prefer glass for many reasons, like keeping in humidity without mold, swelling or bowing. Plus I can see my pets.

Air flow kills humidity. I can't see from the pics, but how many spaces are there for your warm humid air to escape?

Hi Brian,

Thank you for replying. I have a 3 rows of holes in the back. I closed off 2 rows since I think there is a lot of airflow. the thing is I had a open tortoise table before and was able to keep humidity at 70% so you can imagine how confused I got when it's closed and less humid. I don't know if it's the marine plywood that's removing the humidity? I don't know what else to do but mist the enclosure and dampen some of the coco peat. I was wondering if you have other suggestions?

Thanks!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
It can depend on how the air moves, humidity of room, etc. I would close all leaks up, all vents and see what you get. Then you can slowly introduce air flow bak.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian,

It's plexiglass and I put a sticker in the bottom and I'm adding another layer so they cannot see through.

Thanks!
Well done! Keep up the good work.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Couldn't that be "the exception to the rule?"

KNC7

It can depend on how the air moves, humidity of room, etc. I would close all leaks up, all vents and see what you get. Then you can slowly introduce air flow bak.
Thanks Brian! Will try that out!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Couldn't that be "the exception to the rule?"
I don't think so. I have seen a lot of people who use glass w/o issue. I think it probably has more to do with the individual tort or circumstances than as a rule. Mine comes up to the glass very close and looks at me when hungry. She stops short of touching it, never claws at it or anything. She certainly seems to understand it. Same with the boxies. In fact, they scratched more in the rubbermaid tub they had before (although it was smaller so that may be a factor).

Should run a poll, maybe we would see more.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't think so. I have seen a lot of people who use glass w/o issue. I think it probably has more to do with the individual tort or circumstances than as a rule. Mine comes up to the glass very close and looks at me when hungry. She stops short of touching it, never claws at it or anything. She certainly seems to understand it. Same with the boxies. In fact, they scratched more in the rubbermaid tub they had before (although it was smaller so that may be a factor).

Should run a poll, maybe we would see more.

Great to hear that! :D I read it time and once again that "glass" is not recommended." :rolleyes:

Oh yes: a poll would be interesting. Would love to see its results.;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks,
Kara

Kara, I see two main possibilities.
1. Too much airflow.
2. Inaccurate hygrometer.

If you eliminate these two possibilities, then look at substrate thickness and dampness. If your substrate is too thin or too dry, it would make it difficult to maintain humidity.

KNC7

Kara, I see two main possibilities.
1. Too much airflow.
2. Inaccurate hygrometer.

If you eliminate these two possibilities, then look at substrate thickness and dampness. If your substrate is too thin or too dry, it would make it difficult to maintain humidity.
Hi Tom!

Thanks for your response. I don't think it's the hygrometer since both hygrometers for top and bottom practically have the same reading. I will try to lessen the airflow and add little by little. Substrate is pretty thick because I filled up the entire concrete mixing tub (my base) with substrate, I'm just worried about getting it too damp for the torts to be on so I'm trying sponges on top of hide boxes and misting..will try moistening substrate more and lessening airflow.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Am I correct to assume you are using those small digital hygrometers? I have a few, all are with a couple percentage points of accurate.Temp is better than 1 degree C accurate.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I believe those are accurate to 5% in that range, 8% in the 80-100% range. So I would believe them.

KNC7

Any room airflow, like fan or ac?
Hi Brian, that's the thing no AC or fans inside that room. I'm really confused as to why I cannot seem to get humidity up..but will try closing off the holes like you and Tom suggested and moving on from there.