Need help on shell issue

Tommo

Location (City and/or State)
St Albans
Hello and welcome.

D3 production happens fairly quickly in warmed tortoise skin. They don't need much UV to get the job done. Incidental walking around with access to sunshine for a couple hours, once or twice a week will get the job done. Indoors, I only run UV bulbs for 2-3 hours mi day. Which reminds me, there is almost no UV in morning or evening sun. UV levels spike mid day outside. Use this knowledge to time your outdoor sunning sessions. You can also use a calcium supplement with added D3 to ensure your tortoise is getting all that it needs.

As Tammy mentioned, pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Pyramiding has nothing to do with UVB. The internet is full of all sorts of wrong info. Pets shops and vets aren't much better, and all of the above get their info from the same wrong sources.

Here is the correct care info for your species:

And I agree about no fruit.

Questions are welcome! :)
Why is my tortoise shell only growing on one side,? She is heavier on that side now so walks with a limp. Sadly I didn't know about fruit and she loves bananas, apples, and grapes but I will stop now. No-one has mentioned hibernation. Ours goes in a box of straw in the loft when she starts to close down in Autumn, and comes down in the Spring. She wandered into our garden 45 years ago and we couldn't find the owner. She now has a small address label stuck on her shell. Angela Joy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why is my tortoise shell only growing on one side,? She is heavier on that side now so walks with a limp. Sadly I didn't know about fruit and she loves bananas, apples, and grapes but I will stop now. No-one has mentioned hibernation. Ours goes in a box of straw in the loft when she starts to close down in Autumn, and comes down in the Spring. She wandered into our garden 45 years ago and we couldn't find the owner. She now has a small address label stuck on her shell. Angela Joy.
Where is St. Albans? What species, size and age tortoise? How are you housing it? What are your four temperatures? What heating and lighting? What ave you been feeding it? What substrate? How large is the enclosure?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Where is St. Albans? What species, size and age tortoise? How are you housing it? What are your four temperatures? What heating and lighting? What ave you been feeding it? What substrate? How large is the enclosure?
St Albans is in Hertfordshire South East UK

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
There is also a St. Albans, West Virginia, a St. Albans, Vermont, and there is a St. Albans here in Los Angels California.
Wow theres a lot of them. Let's see what they respond.