Need help, so new to this.

SSSaunders

Location (City and/or State)
San Fernando
Hi all, I live in the West Indies (Trinidad) where it is naturally hot day and night, in light of this do I still need to have the UVB lighting? And also I am hearing a lot about Humidity, Hydration and correct Temperature help, I am so lost with that.

Secondly: the veterinarians in Trinidad unfortunately specializes in dogs, cats and maybe birds that's it, so I am depending largely on you all to help me take care of the YF my husband found in our yard.

Finally can someone please advise me in detail on what a correct enclosure should be.

He just waltz into our yard one day and I have been trying to take care of him for about three months now. Please ask questions and share advise, I am open to all the help I can get.

Thank you all in advance.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Hi,

I'm assuming Yellow Foot tortoises are native to Trinidad? If so, this doesn't necessarily give you the right to take it in as a pet. The best thing to do it's let it be. It's a whole different story if the tortoise is not native, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello! I just want to say welcome to TFO! You've come to the best place for up to date, accurate information.

The issue of whether you can keep him is a real one. Some places the fines can be pretty hefty for removing indigenous animals from the wild.

I'll leave that up to the folks that know about that sort of thing...in the meantime, read, learn, and enjoy!

Oh, and we love pictures!

SSSaunders

San Fernando
I have no idea @T Smart if they are or not, actually I only labeled it as such because earlier on I posted a pic and was told that's what it is.This is my first close encounter with a tortoise except for when I see them at the zoo. I have never really researched it as I have never had it in thought until now. If your assumption is correct then I will let him loose.

SSSaunders

San Fernando
Down here there are no penalties @KarenSoCal , they are commonly kept as pets for those who are so inclined. Few people ever take up that challenge though I guess because of the amount of work and the huge responsibility also, the more common type of pets are dogs, cats, birds and fishes.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Down here there are no penalties @KarenSoCal , they are commonly kept as pets for those who are so inclined. Few people ever take up that challenge though I guess because of the amount of work and the huge responsibility also, the more common type of pets are dogs, cats, birds and fishes.
I did a very quick Google search, and came up with this. YF's are an endangered species in Trinidad. However, you may be able to apply for a permit to keep him legally, especially since he's been in captivity for 3 months.

You do what your heart and conscience dictate. In any case, you will find lots of info on this forum. I don't know anything about YF, so will leave the advice up to folks who do.

He's a cutie! Enjoy him!

@ZEROPILOT You have RF...are they similar to YF?

SSSaunders

San Fernando
WOW, I did not know that @KarenSoCal , thank you for educating me about my own country. Couple weeks ago my husband saw an adult, well a bigger one, strolling across the road like no body's business, he stopped and helped her/him to get safely across to the other side of the street, got back into his vehicle and went on his business. He wanted to bring that one home as well. I will investigate and do what's necessary and in the best interest of the little guy.

Thank you.

SSSaunders

San Fernando
Thank you for the links @KarenSoCal , I do have a YF and I just realized that my he is actually a She, wow two female in the same house I wonder how that is gonna work out. I am supposed to be the only female in this joint (smiling).

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
WOW, I did not know that @KarenSoCal , thank you for educating me about my own country. Couple weeks ago my husband saw an adult, well a bigger one, strolling across the road like no body's business, he stopped and helped her/him to get safely across to the other side of the street, got back into his vehicle and went on his business. He wanted to bring that one home as well. I will investigate and do what's necessary and in the best interest of the little guy.

Thank you.
Sure, no problem! I meant to include this link. I put in Trinidad, then clicked reptiles.

http://earthsendangered.com/search-regions3.asp

Here in the US, if a tortoise has been captive, we generally don't release it. It is said they don't do well, and can transfer diseases into the wild population. In California, we need a permit to have a desert tortoise, but they are free and easy to apply for.
I'd check that option out if I was you.
Please keep us updated, and others will chime in with more care suggestions.

SSSaunders

San Fernando
Well @KarenSoCal I went through the entire link and yep she is definitely endangered, (can't get my head wrapped around saying she yet. I got so used to saying he). So thank you again I will discuss with my husband about the permit and will keep you posted. I am grateful for all the help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I did a very quick Google search, and came up with this. YF's are an endangered species in Trinidad. However, you may be able to apply for a permit to keep him legally, especially since he's been in captivity for 3 months.

You do what your heart and conscience dictate. In any case, you will find lots of info on this forum. I don't know anything about YF, so will leave the advice up to folks who do.

He's a cutie! Enjoy him!

@ZEROPILOT You have RF...are they similar to YF?
Yes.
Very similar.
But separate species.

SSSaunders

San Fernando
What's the difference @ZEROPILOT and as I previously asked.

1 - I live in the West Indies (Trinidad) where it is naturally hot day and night, in light of this do I still need to have the UVB lighting? And also I am hearing a lot about Humidity, Hydration and correct Temperature help, I am lost with that.

2 - Please advise me in detail on what a correct enclosure should be.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you keeping it outdoors?
You want high humidity. Your area might be humid enough outdoors. Or you can help raise it by making it "rain" a few times a day with a sprinkler attached to a hose.
You want temperatures in the 80s. But not much hotter the low 90s and get plants. Etc to provide shade.
If your YF is housed outdoors, you do not need UV light. The sunlight will provide that. Again. Make sure that there is always shade available.
These are not animals that spend much time in the bright sunshine and they can overheat.
Also have a shallow pan of water in the enclosure large enough for the YF to climb into. Keep that in the shade too so that the water doesn't get too hot.
I keep Redfoot. Not Yellowfoot.
What they eat and care are very similar. But not exactly the same.

SSSaunders

San Fernando
Are you keeping it outdoors?
You want high humidity. Your area might be humid enough outdoors. Or you can help raise it by making it "rain" a few times a day with a sprinkler attached to a hose.
You want temperatures in the 80s. But not much hotter the low 90s and get plants. Etc to provide shade.
If your YF is housed outdoors, you do not need UV light. The sunlight will provide that. Again. Make sure that there is always shade available.
These are not animals that spend much time in the bright sunshine and they can overheat.
Also have a shallow pan of water in the enclosure large enough for the YF to climb into. Keep that in the shade too so that the water doesn't get too hot.
I keep Redfoot. Not Yellowfoot.
What they eat and care are very similar. But not exactly the same.
No I keep it inside but I do take it outside as often as possible. I was reading at another website before getting onto TFO and the info there advised to give then natural sunlight as much as possible and that is what I had been doing all the time, OMG I had been suffering my little honey bug, I will change that immediately. I do have water in there for her shallow enough that she gets in there whenever she is ready and just sits there and relaxes. Thank you @ZEROPILOT