Need help! (soft shell)

Tom4388

Location (City and/or State)
Accrington
Hi everyone,
New to the forum, I’m looking after a Horsefield/Russian tortoise called George. I’m not sure he’s being looked after very well so I’m taking steps to make his life a bitter/happier.

I’ve noticed that parts of his shell are a little soft and discoloured. There are quite big grooves in between the plates that are pitted, there bits that are brownish in colour and feel soft (not hard like the rest of the shell) is this something to be concerned about or is this normal?

30A4C4F6-7E31-4879-8B2D-576D0ABF5D13.jpeg 586D806F-B949-4F19-BA3C-D5D85CC7EE8E.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This looks to me like a captive born russian that has spent NO time in the sun and NO time under a UVB light.

In my opinion, he would benefit greatly from either REAL sun, or a NEW UVB light. Adding calcium to the diet goes without saying!

The bits between the plates is where the new growth happens. It starts out soft and hardens in a day or two.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I would try to get him outside in the sun (with shade available) ASAP. A couple of hours a few times per week would be a great start.
Also as Yvonne said dust his food with calcium 3 times per week.
Can we have a look at his enclosure ?

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Get him Calcium with D3 if you choose to keep him indoors. I’ve seen many people just feed calcium without UVB and they have great success. Although with the tortoises current condition having both is necessary. Remember that the sun is always a better option than artificial UVB. Feed foods high in natural calcium content such as cactus and turnip greens.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Poor thing...Lucky for him you came to the rescue. In that condition I would say two hours in real sunlight every day (with a hide just in case) and daily soaks. Calcium/multi powder on the food once a day lightly, I barely dust the edges once a day to avoid using gobs every three days because mine avoid it. In your case the first dose should be a full one, then I would dust it once a day.

I highly suggest a new MVB bulb so you know the UVB is fresh, generally they are a bit harsh versus a 10.0 and heat bulb but I think it would be a benefit here and help harden it. Wouldn't hurt to add a 10.0 in other bare areas away from the cool side as well.

keep us updated...and remember we like pictures lol.