need help with lights

Humbug & Maz

Location (City and/or State)
Chesterfield UK
I am so pleased I found this wonderful forum with genuine, knowledgeable people. I am in the UK, have owned my Hermann tortoise for a week and a half and she (or he!) is just under 2 years old. She is healthy and active and I set the basking lamp to the correct temperature with a thermometer each side of the table. The lamp is on for 12 hours a day, set on a timer. She has a luke-warm bath every other day which she enjoys and the potted plants are pesticide free. She climbs on to my hand to take food and is very friendly.

I had a beloved Hermann tortoise for years in my youth but those days were very different with hot summers and this is the first time I have owned a young tortoise with an indoor set up. She has been out under my supervision in my enclosed garden most days for half an hour in the sunshine (whilst the weather is still ok!) and I have sown some seeds to ensure she will have an organic supply of healthy food.

My question is also what fergusaur asked because the UVB lamp I was supplied with is a T5 which needs erecting about 18" above the table and I have no idea how to do that! I don't want it to burn her eyes! In the photo it is just resting on the top of the table (not switched on) and I wanted to ask also if I could use a T8 light and holder at this height of about 8" instead of the T5? I am also ordering a solarmeter 6.5. Photos attached of the lights supplied and my set up. The radiator is not being used I might add and when it IS the table will be moved further along.

Having read other good advice on here I will also be changing the substrate as it contains sand and lime stone so I will be looking at orchid bark or similar. I would appreciate any advice you guys can give and thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• torty (3).JPG
    torty (3).JPG
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 16
  • torty (6).JPG
    torty (6).JPG
    965 KB · Views: 17

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I am so pleased I found this wonderful forum with genuine, knowledgeable people. I am in the UK, have owned my Hermann tortoise for a week and a half and she (or he!) is just under 2 years old. She is healthy and active and I set the basking lamp to the correct temperature with a thermometer each side of the table. The lamp is on for 12 hours a day, set on a timer. She has a luke-warm bath every other day which she enjoys and the potted plants are pesticide free. She climbs on to my hand to take food and is very friendly.

I had a beloved Hermann tortoise for years in my youth but those days were very different with hot summers and this is the first time I have owned a young tortoise with an indoor set up. She has been out under my supervision in my enclosed garden most days for half an hour in the sunshine (whilst the weather is still ok!) and I have sown some seeds to ensure she will have an organic supply of healthy food.

My question is also what fergusaur asked because the UVB lamp I was supplied with is a T5 which needs erecting about 18" above the table and I have no idea how to do that! I don't want it to burn her eyes! In the photo it is just resting on the top of the table (not switched on) and I wanted to ask also if I could use a T8 light and holder at this height of about 8" instead of the T5? I am also ordering a solarmeter 6.5. Photos attached of the lights supplied and my set up. The radiator is not being used I might add and when it IS the table will be moved further along.

Having read other good advice on here I will also be changing the substrate as it contains sand and lime stone so I will be looking at orchid bark or similar. I would appreciate any advice you guys can give and thank you in advance :)
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like you are already on the right track for most of what you need. You need a couple of upright "posts" and a crossbar over the top of them. This can be done many ways. PVC pipe works, as does 2x4 lumber. Attach a vertical upright to each side and attach a horizontal "beam" to the tops of the uprights. Hang your basking lamp and your UV tube from the overhead horizontal beam.

The clamps you are using always fail eventually. This will cause a catastrophe of one sort or another. Hanging the lamps form over head is a much safer way to go.