Lights on or off at night

Shelbylove

Hey everyone
I have just got my lovely Indian star tortoise yesterday, the viv is fully set up with basking lamp and uv lamp with the heat at one end and the other normal.
I'm a little unsure what to do with regards to do at night??
Do I turn all the lights off? Or leave the heat on I'm getting mixed messages.
The viv is in my front room the temp will not drop below 15 degrees.
Please help I want Shelby to be happy
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises need it dark at night, but still warm for an Indian star. The temperature anywhere in your viv should not drop below 26-27 at any time day or night. Stars like it warm. One night at 15 is enough to induce a life threatening respiratory infection. Basking area should be around 36-37 for 12-13 hours a day, and ambient should creep up to around 29-33 during the day. Humidity and frequent soaks will complete the package. Maintaing night heat and day heat too, is best accomplished with a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat. These emit heat when needed, but no light.

What sort of UV bulb are you using?

I house my stars like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

This might help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Welcome to the forum!

Shelbylove

What would I use instead of a spot bulb? This is my viv I went on advice from the reptile store I got Shelby from
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475104420.415410.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The following is all meant to be constructive and helpful. Its not an attack and not said to make you feel bad. I have to tell you what is wrong so you know what to fix.

Pet stores are notorious for giving bad tortoise info and selling people the wrong products. Looks like that is exactly what happened here.

1. That enclosure is too small already, and the tortoise is going to grow some more.
2. "Spot" bulbs concentrate too much carapace desiccating heat and IR-A all in one little spot. This is going to lead to more pyramiding. Better to use a flood bulb or a regular "Type A" round bulb in a reflector hood, as these spread the heat out over a larger area. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store.
3. Dry substrate is not the way to go with this species. Best to simulate the hot humid rainy monsoon season. Orchid bark works best. Keep the substrate 3-4" deep and damp.
4. Your tortoise needs a humid hide. The one you have is a fine hide, but the open ends will prevent it from holding humidity.
5. That water bowl is a dangerous flipping hazard. I would remove it ASAP. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.
6. Use another terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate for food.
7. What is that in the bowl? Strawberry? Fruit is too high in sugar and it will create all sorts of digestive issues. They need weeds, grasses, leaves and succulents. No fruit.
8. I Stil see no mention of night heat. You need a CHE set on a thermostat to maintain a warm ambient temp day and night.

All of this and more is explained in the threads I linked in post number 2 in this thread.

Stars are not as adaptable or hardy as some species. There is a smaller margin of error, so these issues need to be worked out ASAP. Please ask for clarification on any of these points.