light on or off at night.

ToritheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
South New Jersey
Hi, can someone help me with a few questions that I can not find in a book. I have a heat lamp and a UV light on all day for my Leopard Tortoise, but at night I shut them off. Tori lives in our living room so the temp. is at 70 degrees.
Also it is now cool during the day and I don't want to take her out to her play area due to the ground dose not have time to warm up, or should I ? Also I have a porch enclosed for the winter that in the afternoon warms to 60 degrees, would it be okay for Tori to go out for a short time?
Thanks for all your help. Nancy

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old is your leopard? lights should go,off for night time, but a ceramic heat emitter should be on for some heat. 60 and 70 is too cold. Depending on the age of your leopard, will depend on how low it can get at night. Under 2 and you should have a humidity of 80% and temps no lower then 80 day and night with a basking spot of 95-100 during the day. An old leopard and I would not let temps get lower then 75 but in a humid hide it should still be 80. I don't let my temps get below 80 for my 3 4+year old leopards. However, if it's sunny and say 70 outside and no cool wind, I will let them go outside as long as it's dry and not humid. Cold and damp/humid makes a sick or dead tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need a heat source for night time.

A ceramic heating element set on a thermostat will maintain your ambient temp at 80 day and night for you. Then during the day your heat lamp can warm up the basking spot even more.

What type of UV bulb are you using? The cfl type sometimes burn their eyes and should not be used.

The tortoise should never be out loose on the floor. This practice frequently results in a dead or injured tortoise. Make their enclosure large enough to meet their needs and leave them where they are safe and secure.

If the porch is sunny, dry and not windy, then short time periods outside might be okay. If the tortoise cannot bask in direct sun and warm up then there is no point in putting the it in an enclosure on the porch.

Here are some threads with care tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Have you read the "Beginners Mistake Thread?" And what about different care sheets?

Posting pics of you tort as well as its enclosure would enable us to help you more.;)

Good luck!:D

ToritheTortoise

South New Jersey
How old is your leopard? lights should go,off for night time, but a ceramic heat emitter should be on for some heat. 60 and 70 is too cold. Depending on the age of your leopard, will depend on how low it can get at night. Under 2 and you should have a humidity of 80% and temps no lower then 80 day and night with a basking spot of 95-100 during the day. An old leopard and I would not let temps get lower then 75 but in a humid hide it should still be 80. I don't let my temps get below 80 for my 3 4+year old leopards. However, if it's sunny and say 70 outside and no cool wind, I will let them go outside as long as it's dry and not humid. Cold and damp/humid makes a sick or dead tort.
Thanks so much for the info. I will get a ceramic heater today. Tori is 2 yrs. old and weight is 1115 grams. Is this the correct weight for a 2yr. old?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's so hard to say. At 2. Mine was just over 2 pounds and 7 inches. They all grow at their own pace. As long as care is set up correctly, diet is good, he is hydrated good and they keep growing, then don't worry about it.

ToritheTortoise

South New Jersey
You need a heat source for night time.

A ceramic heating element set on a thermostat will maintain your ambient temp at 80 day and night for you. Then during the day your heat lamp can warm up the basking spot even more.

What type of UV bulb are you using? The cfl type sometimes burn their eyes and should not be used.

The tortoise should never be out loose on the floor. This practice frequently results in a dead or injured tortoise. Make their enclosure large enough to meet their needs and leave them where they are safe and secure.

If the porch is sunny, dry and not windy, then short time periods outside might be okay. If the tortoise cannot bask in direct sun and warm up then there is no point in putting the it in an enclosure on the porch.

Here are some threads with care tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Thanks, I will check the type of light bulb I have, I know it was made by Zoo-Med. Thanks for the info on the floor and I will read the care tips. I never thought about the direct sun light on the porch. But during the summer when Tori was out in her pen she would spend alot of time under plants and not in the sun.

ToritheTortoise

South New Jersey
It's so hard to say. At 2. Mine was just over 2 pounds and 7 inches. They all grow at their own pace. As long as care is set up correctly, diet is good, he is hydrated good and they keep growing, then don't worry about it.
Okay, I weigh her every month and she is always gaining.

ToritheTortoise

South New Jersey
Thanks, I will check the type of light bulb I have, I know it was made by Zoo-Med. Thanks for the info on the floor and I will read the care tips. I never thought about the direct sun light on the porch. But during the summer when Tori was out in her pen she would spend alot of time under plants and not in the sun.
Hi, Today I went to Pet Smart to get the ceramic heater all they had was 100 watt Ceramic Infared Heat Emitter so I bought it. If you say this is the wrong type I will return it. It dose say 83 degrees at 12 inch height . Also on the UV on said 13w and another was 26 watt no one their could tell me what is the difference. I really appreciate all your help. Nancy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks so much for the info. I will get a ceramic heater today. Tori is 2 yrs. old and weight is 1115 grams. Is this the correct weight for a 2yr. old?

Not a ceramic 'heater,' but a ceramic heat emitter:

ceramic heat emitter.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't buy this type UV light:

CFL.jpg

You said you have one made by Zoo Med, then you probably have the correct light. Is it like this:

zoo-med-powersun-uv-mercury-vapor-uvb-lamp.jpg

This is a mercury vapor bulb. This is good.

Attachments

• MVB.jpg
    MVB.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 9

ToritheTortoise

South New Jersey
Don't buy this type UV light:

View attachment 154100

You said you have one made by Zoo Med, then you probably have the correct light. Is it like this:

zoo-med-powersun-uv-mercury-vapor-uvb-lamp.jpg

This is a mercury vapor bulb. This is good.
Great thanks for the pictures, they help a lot. The heat emitter is black and is called a Infrared Heat Emitter 100 W. Is this the same as the white?