At what time do I need to turn my uv light off at night

Maisy

Hello I was just wondering if what time i need to turn my tortoise Elliot uv light off on a night. I am turning it on at around 7 in the morning before I go to work, but unsure at what time to turn it off.

Killerrookie

Hello I was just wondering if what time i need to turn my tortoise Elliot uv light off on a night. I am turning it on at around 7 in the morning before I go to work, but unsure at what time to turn it off.
I usually turn mine off around 9:00 PM or 10:00 PM.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have mine on timers so that they're on for 14 hours. I don't care what actual time of day it is, they get 14 hours of daylight daily. And I don't change it for daylight savings time. 14 hours on.

tobyandlydia

5 Year Member
England
I'm not too sure, but i suppose they need to settle down. We've done it as 'natural' as possible. When the sun goes out, the light goes out for our little one :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of UV bulb are you using and what else are you using? I have my lights come on around sunrise and go off around sunset for most species most of the year, if they are indoors.

In some of my enclosures, the UV source is strong and separate from the other lighting and heating, so I set those to only come on for 4-5 hours mid day to simulate what happens with UV from the sun outside.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I reckon 12 - 14 hours of light a day to simulate summer conditions.
You don't need a uvb source if your tort is out in the sun every day.
They only need a few hours of uvb light from the sun every week to be able to produce enough d3 and remain healthy.
But even the best uvb bulbs do not nearly produce the same levels of uvb as the sun, so should be on for the whole day, if your tortoise is not getting enough natural sunlight.

Maisy

ok at the moment i am turning it on at 7 in the morning at turning it off around 8:45 at night