Need Help With My Line Trimmer

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
First of all, let me remind you, I'm old. It's hard for me to start my gas powered Weedeater brand line trimmer. So I've been looking online for a cordless. I thought to get the highest volt because it would have more power. If I'm wrong please advise me. I found a Black and Decker 6o volt with a lithium-ion battery. But the problem is, I can't find replacement batteries online. Google doesn't come up with the 60volt. I'd like to buy the trimmer and an extra battery, plus the charger. Any help or advice will be wonderful. Thanks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I can help you with parts and any service or repair questions about gas powered equipment.
But not so much electric.
I have a very inexpensive Ryobi 18volt L.I weedeater that I use for my tortoise pens and it works well. Especially for the $50 it cost me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The reason I was considering the 60V is because when I use it, it has to run for hours. I use it all over about an acre of property. So I figured the higher voltage, the more power it would have. ?????

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The reason I was considering the 60V is because when I use it, it has to run for hours. I use it all over about an acre of property. So I figured the higher voltage, the more power it would have. ?????
Yeah. More power and longer run time.
Whatever you get, stick with a name. Black and Decker (A.K.A DeWalt) has been around for a while.
Not long ago, a school that I'm familiar with bought a bunch of Home Depot off brand name equipment and the company soon disappeared, making finding parts and batteries a nightmare.
Ryobi is a semi-cheesy brand, but the same battery runs dozens of tools. Very handy. But not what you are looking for.
A lot of the newer weedeaters have 4 cycle engines that are easier to start than the older 2 strokes.
maybe see if there's a lawn and garden center nearby that will let you try some.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Normally higher voltage means higher power. With corded motors, it's really amps that tell power. However, once you get to 24+ volts you have pretty good power, and probably won't notice the difference much. 40V is plenty and pretty common now. You will not find one that lasts hours, though. A good one will probably go 30 minutes so you will need 2-3 batteries for what you are describing. Have you seen this site:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/home/outdoor/best-electric-string-trimmers/

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Normally higher voltage means higher power. With corded motors, it's really amps that tell power. However, once you get to 24+ volts you have pretty good power, and probably won't notice the difference much. 40V is plenty and pretty common now. You will not find one that lasts hours, though. A good one will probably go 30 minutes so you will need 2-3 batteries for what you are describing. Have you seen this site:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/home/outdoor/best-electric-string-trimmers/
Cool link, Mark.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I looked at the B & D 40v first, and the battery is easy to find along with a charger. Good to see it as #1 on that link. Maybe I'll go back and reconsider. I figured to get two batteries, have one charged up so when the one I'm using dies I can just change it out. That's how I run my cordless drill (which I love, by the way).

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I looked at the B & D 40v first, and the battery is easy to find along with a charger. Good to see it as #1 on that link. Maybe I'll go back and reconsider. I figured to get two batteries, have one charged up so when the one I'm using dies I can just change it out. That's how I run my cordless drill (which I love, by the way).
Usually charge time is 2-5 times the length of run time. Not sure with the Black and Decker, but probably will do about 30 minutes before need to replace battery, but the charge may take 2 hours. If you have the spare charged, you can do an hour, but the first one won't be recharged by the time the second one dies... If you need more than 1 hour constant work, you may need 3 batteries.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought the 40V one. It came yesterday and my s-i-l assembled it for me today. I charged the battery all night (thank you, Ed, for letting me know it probably comes with a charger. It didn't say on the specs on the Amazon page what was included). So this a.m. I gave it a try. I ran it for about an hour and by that time my arms were killing me so I stopped. The button on the battery showed 1 bar, so I put it on the charger. It has a dial. 6 means heavier cutting and 1 means longer use time. I ran it about mid-way and it was plenty strong enough. It's heavier than my Weedeater FeatherLite, so it will take some getting used to, but I think it's going to work out just fine. Now I need to buy a second battery. Can you imagine? The battery alone costs about $60. That's half the cost of the whole unit including battery and charger!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mine are the Black and Decker. I get about 30 mins depending on type of weeds. I bought other things like a chain saw along the line, so have four batteries now. Cheaper long term then just buying another battery. Plus each item came with a charger.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mine are the Black and Decker. I get about 30 mins depending on type of weeds. I bought other things like a chain saw along the line, so have four batteries now. Cheaper long term then just buying another battery. Plus each item came with a charger.

That's an idea.