Need opinions on humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
The substrate for my Russian is about 50/50 topsoil and sand. I have a hard time keeping it moist, misting lasts for about 20 minutes and it looks dry again. Anyone have any good ideas on how to keep it more moist? Thanks

chadk

10 Year Member!
How deep is it? 50/50 is kinda high for sand mixed with anything. Many of us have stopped using any sand at all.

How are you keeping it moist? Spray bottles aren't much good. Maybe just to spray their shells now and then. But for substrate, get a pitcher of water and soak it. Then, once you stick your finger down and no longer feel moisture an inch or 2 down, it is time for more. (assuming here that you have at least 4-6 inches like you should)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you have hide of some type in the enclosure? A small plastic tub upside down or with a lid on it with a hole in the side the tortoise can get in and out of will help retain humidity in part of the enclosure.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
When you are using a sand/soil mix- which is pretty common and quite functional, although some dislike it- the trick is managing the layers.

The soil should be a few to several inches thick, and the bottom-most layer should be pretty wet. Ideally, the heat of the room or heating system warms this water and it moves upwards as humidity. You can improve this process with in-soil heating cables if your room is normally a bit cool.

Basically. the bottom should be wet, the middle moist, and the top dry. This way- the shell is not in contact with wet soil which is an easy way to get shell rot.

Stirring the soil helps- it moves the wet stuff up, helps prevent mold and stuff, and stirs in any wastes.

Now- if the bottom layer is wet and the middle and top are dry, you either need more moisture or more organic material in the soil to help with the wicking.

By the way- if you are already doing soil/sand mix, you are about 1/2 way to a Bioactive Substrate System, sort of a mini compost pit that simulates natural soil nicely. I can post more info if you are interested.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was taught 50/50 but it is a lot less then that on the sand in actuality for me. Like Mark said, you do want the top to become some what dry, with the lower layers being wetter. It's hard to explain on here the difference between being slightly dry and the bone dry dry. :rolleyes: It's the bone dry that becomes dusty and causes problems.

The spray bottles just won't work to well for what your wanting to do, just like somebody else said. You do need to add the water in more volume. Also as said deeper substrate amounts make for an easier time of it.

Just don't over board and make it into a dripping mess. :D If you get a little too wet, it's okay because it shouldn't last long and will dry back out to the correct dampness rather quickly.

Like everything in life, it's all a learning process by trial and error.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
yes please, i'm interested in any info i can get about this stuff. I want to make sure that he is well taken care of

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
I have a soil/sand mix in my table and the way I keep it moist is by pouring the water on one side (away from the basking site) until its very wet. I keep the side under the basking light dry. As time passes the very wet side will wicker towards the dry side leaving different microclimates. My russians also have the option to choose the amount of wetness they prefer. This is just the way I do it.:). Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.