Need some help...taking a short trip!

milkandsam

5 Year Member
I took a short trip and was super worried about the temperature. So I filled a Tupper ware container with really really hot water and wrapped it in a towel to keep the enclosure warm. Or at least give him something to get near to that was heated. It actually stayed hot until we got there. I also took several thermoses full of hot water just in case. I figured if anything happened I could 1. Cool down the hot water and give him a warm soak or 2. Refill the Tupper ware container to keep him warm as well lol. I was pretty paranoid since it was our first trip :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
On the road! About an hour in and so far everyone is doing great! He even had a trip in to burger king.

Attachments

• 1388786760978.jpg
    1388786760978.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 27

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You can use hot water bottles, even plastic soda bottles filled with hot tap water. Easy to refill in restrooms. I like those microwaveable discs, but don't know if your trip is short enough for the heat to last.

The motion of the car is going to slosh all the water out of the saucer. It's important that the tortoise can't go sliding around & hit something. No matter how smoothly you drive, there are hills, turns, stops & starts that affect a small rock in a box.

Also, you need to make sure the animal cannot escape into the car. Do you really want to risk it getting under the brake pedal? Once you close the box, it's dark & the animal won't be active or need much. If you use a tall open escape proof box, be prepared for hours worth of frantic scrabbling.

The car heater is very drying, too.

I've traveled with tortoises when I moved halfway across the country and then back again, across town to the vet, and to educational programs. I've done it in the winter as rescue transport. I would not choose to travel with a tortoise in the winter if I had any other option. I n the car, I keep it warm & padded & safe, and don't try to provide its regular life while in transit. That comes when we arrive for the night.

Whether or not you take your tortoise with you, you should solve the turning over problem. I wonder if the substrate us too soft for him to get a purchase?

Sammy5.2013

5 Year Member
I will be gone 2 nights and 1 full day and not sure what to do with my 9 month sulcata. How can I set up the enclosure so he will get food and what about basking light and UVB light. Any advise would be great