Road trip for Diego

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
IMG_4705.JPG We had to go out of town for the weekend and had asked a friend to bring Diego, my Russian Tortoise, in at night as I always do but at the last minute she couldn't do it so we took him with us rather than worry about raccoons all weekend. I had some blankets piled high on the seat between my boyfriend and I and put Diego there so he could see out the windows. I figured this would last a few minutes before he took off looking for adventure... but no! He was so mesmerized by the world going by that he only moved his head, tracking cars and street signs and looking at everything. For 3 hours! He's alway so active so I was really surprised. 3 hours into our 3 1/2 hour drive he turned 180 degrees and fell asleep. Exhausted from watching the world speed by at such a pace? So at the end of the weekend on our drive back I decided I'd offer him his throne again and got the same result! Looking at everything, completely content to watch it all go by and after 3 hours... a nap. So I guess I'm just so surprised at his behavior and I'm wondering if others here have road trip loving tortoises. He really seemed curious and content. I'd wondered if he might get motion sick or would be scared but I saw no signs of either. Although every time we went under an over-pass he flinched like he thought we would run into it!