Need to add another light

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I hate to be a budinski, but this thread has the most info I have found so far on this matter and it didn't make sense to start a whole new thread for just a question or two.

I bought a four foot fixture and two T12 3100k bulbs for the 6'x3' enclosed greenhouse portion of Odin's indoor enclosure that we are planning, (his MVB and CHE will be in another attached but separate area). Do you think they will have sufficient light output for growing his plants in there full time and do you have any idea how much heat they will produce?

The bulbs will produce a little heat, but the ballast will produce a lot more. Is the ballast built into the fixture or is it a separate entity on the cord somewhere?

You will have to run it and see what it does to your temps. Too many variables to predict it.

Same with the plants. Two 48" bulbs in a 6' enclosure should make a pretty good amount of light, but I don't know if that will be enough, or the best spectrum for plant growth. Maybe it will be. Try it.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
The bulbs will produce a little heat, but the ballast will produce a lot more. Is the ballast built into the fixture or is it a separate entity on the cord somewhere?
Funny, the older I get the less I realize I know. I will open it up and take a look, but I'm pretty sure it's in the fixture?

You will have to run it and see what it does to your temps. Too many variables to predict it.
I was going to get it up and running for at least long enough to get stuff sprouted before we "unleash the hound". I'm looking at thermometer/hygrometers that saves the min/max settings so I can track the variances over the course of the day. After a few days with that I figure I will know if I need additional heating or not. Of course the lights will be on a timer, along with the lights and CHE in the other areas, but I digress...

Same with the plants. Two 48" bulbs in a 6' enclosure should make a pretty good amount of light, but I don't know if that will be enough, or the best spectrum for plant growth. Maybe it will be. Try it.
I'm looking at broader spectrum bulbs just in case those aren't enough. The Guy at Lowes said they were "exactly what I was looking for", but he didn't exactly inspire my confidence.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
3100K is still going to be on the yellow side. Better than the usually 2500K, but still not as good as 6500K. If I recall correctly, plants prefer the 6500K spectrum bulbs over the 2500K ones.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
3100K is still going to be on the yellow side. Better than the usually 2500K, but still not as good as 6500K. If I recall correctly, plants prefer the 6500K spectrum bulbs over the 2500K ones.
Perfect, I had already started looking for the 6500k bulbs online after your other post. Thanks for all the help, I don't know what I would do without this place.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I found the 6500k bulbs at Lowes!

JustLivingLife714

5 Year Member
California
Ok here is the 6500k strip light I got. It is SUPER bright. It gave me a headache just staring at it for a few minutes last night trying to decide if I like the location I had it in. It is hanging about 24 inches above the substrate. I just want to make sure you all think it is ok before I continue using it. I have an Arcadia 12% bulb that I will be adding on friday for UV since the Powersun isn't cutting it for the enclosure layout right now.
View attachment 144602 View attachment 144603 View attachment 144604

Whats the name of the fixture and 6500k bulb you found at lowes? I need 6500k strip light to add to my 2 tube fixture. Not sure if i should put the uvb bulb and 6500k strip light together.