Out side UV light inquiry?

Flipper

Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
My 9 ish month old Herman's tortoise lives inside, and I work 3 twelve hour shifts per week. I take Tallula outside for at least an hour on my days off. This is the background of my question ;)

Question (or 2-3): If Tallula is under a bush or plant, does she still get the UV light she needs? Or does she need to be out in the open?

Also, if it's a cloudy or hazy day will Tallula still get her needed UV?

I apologize if these are silly questions. I'm fair skinned so having UV requirements is new to me! ROFL

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I've read UVB rays "bounce off" so I think they get UVB in the shade :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
An hour of ACCESS to sunshine 4 times a week is enough to meet your tortoise's UV needs. You don't need any indoor UV, but it won't hurt to use some either.

Yes they still get some UV in the shade when outside. Its a much lower level, but its something.

Flipper

MO, USA
Ha! If you're fair skinned you'll understand what I'm gonna ask here...ever gone outside and thought, "Oh it's cloudy, I don't need sunscreen" or "I'm safe under this tree" and then still burn?
Yes, but it does take longer to burn in the shade, IMHO.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
UVB is decreased by cloud cover but not totally blocked. It is also refractive (?) not sure if that is the right word. It will reflect off of pavment, water, shiney surfaces etc.., with the end result being that one can burn in the shade and a tortoise can get UVB. From what I understand, humans, at least, will begin vitamin d production from very short term exposure. A matter of minutes. I can't be certain how long it takes for a tortoise to do so but I am sure Tom has a good idea. My indoor torts get about 3 - 5 hours of sun a week. About half and half direct to indirect. Right wrong or indifferent, my gauge is usually to keep them out in the sun until they stop grazing and try to hide. Once one does it, the others soon follow.

Flipper

MO, USA
An hour of ACCESS to sunshine 4 times a week is enough to meet your tortoise's UV needs. You don't need any indoor UV, but it won't hurt to use some either.

Yes they still get some UV in the shade when outside. Its a much lower level, but its something.
Ok tom, thanks. Maybe I'll be getting that MVB sooner than later.

I shouldn't force her to be in the sun, right? If her instinct is to hide under a bush, I should let her. Yes?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. On hot summer days, I like the pen to be mostly shady. They will move in and out of the sun as needed.

Flipper

MO, USA
UVB is decreased by cloud cover but not totally blocked. It is also refractive (?) not sure if that is the right word. It will reflect off of pavment, water, shiney surfaces etc.., with the end result being that one can burn in the shade and a tortoise can get UVB. From what I understand, humans, at least, will begin vitamin d production from very short term exposure. A matter of minutes. I can't be certain how long it takes for a tortoise to do so but I am sure Tom has a good idea. My indoor torts get about 3 - 5 hours of sun a week. About half and half direct to indirect. Right wrong or indifferent, my gauge is usually to keep them out in the sun until they stop grazing and try to hide. Once one does it, the others soon follow.
Excellent! :) she does tend to hide toward the end of our excursion :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
It's actually reflected, refraction is when light is deflected (it's angle changes) when passing through to different substances... That's why a pencil seems to bend in water
Pic:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405546388.731316.jpg
Sorry for the science lesson, this came in my final :D

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
It's actually reflected, refraction is when light is deflected (it's angle changes) when passing through to different substances... That's why a pencil seems to bend in water
Pic:
View attachment 87639
Sorry for the science lesson, this came in my final :D
lol! Thanks for the lesson. I am going to go out on a limb and say it can do both. I have burned on parts that were under water. Unfortunately, in my old age, I am unable to appear to bend like a pencil. I appear to bend more like a potato now.