1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

UV light

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Lighting' started by Bruno, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Bruno

Bruno New Member

How much can tortoises be inside without uv light without dangering their health.I know that they can get mbd or metabolic bone disease but i am not seeing any deformations on their shells.I have 4 Herrmanns they are about 1-2 years old and i am keeping them inside for the winter.And if I need to put them outside to get some sun , how often per week and for how long.Answers will be appreciated.Thanks anyway
  2. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    If they have had proper exposure to UVB, they can go 2 or 3 weeks without UVB with no harm. For a growing tortoise (not hibernating/brumating) I would certainly not let them go longer than that. ON a normal basis, they should have good UVB exposure at least a few times a week for an hour or so. But that is GOOD UVB exposure with a UV index of at least 3.0. Your problem is that where you are, this time of year, you never get a UVI reading that high even at noon on the brightest, sunny day. The sun is just too low in the sky. At 43° North Latitude, beginning of February, you are probably getting a UVI of 1.5 at noon on a sunny day. That is not enough for a tortoise.

Living as far north as you do, you need to get a good UVB bulb and provide a good enclosure with proper heat.
    katieandiggy, wellington and Bee62 like this.
  3. trickspiration

trickspiration Active Member

@Markw84 Can you direct me to some research about the effect of UV index levels for proper UVB exposure for torts? I've been curious about learning more, but haven't found much information/articles that explain this concept.
  4. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Are your torts getting enough heat? A basking area of 95-100 degrees? They need good heat and lighting/uvb to properly digest their food and properly grow.
    If you start to see deformities on their shells then you have neglected them way too long by not providing the needed uvb. It doesn't appear in a short time. Damage is done on the inside by the time it's noticeable on the outside.
    SpeedyBob likes this.
  5. Bruno

Bruno New Member

They have their basking area but i smashed my uv bulb when i moved the lamp.It broke about 2 weeks ago.How can I tell if there are any issues on them.They always have their eyes open( clear black eyes) get food water and have good moisture.They walk around the habitat and seem happy.I dont know when I am getting a new bulb because I cant buy it in my country i need to order it.If i dont get the bulb should I make a hibernation place for them.Will that help?
  6. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Start adding some D3 vitamins to their food twice a week. Many tortoise calcium supplements come with D3 in them. Follow directions as you can overdose dietary D3. A good option would also to be feeding a pellet food like Mazuri (Nutrazu in Europe) or RepCal as part of the diet 2-3 times per week. Those foods also contain calcium and D3.

Get a good UVB bulb as soon as possible. Naturally synthesized D3 is the best source for a tortoise.
    katieandiggy likes this.
  7. Bruno

Bruno New Member

Trouble is, my country is weird.New York is bigger than it.I checked all the pet shops around and no uvb lights, pellets, calcium powder( but i have found a way of "making" calcium powder from cuttlefish bone).All the pet shops and people think we keep only cats,dogs and rarely birds as pets.I really hate that.I think the best option is hibernating them till spring or summer.Last summer they were outside, and one of the 4 hibernated a little bit like a week or so.That is my opinion, I just want them happy