Need to make a decision.

EvanM

Location (City and/or State)
Annandale, VA
I live in Northern Virginia. I have a ~3 year old sulcata named Clover who is about 11" and 8.2lb (scale might be low). I bought him as a hatchling and I have got the idea in my head that I want to keep him for life. But right now I am a college student with no income, I live in a temperate climate (cold for half the year), and he cannot graze in my backyard as it is sprayed for weeds. Furthermore, my dad helped me build him a 4x8 enclosure last year and I fear that he has long outgrown it, or he will soon. The temperatures are about right according to the various guides, but there is no humidity whatsoever, being that the enclosure is open topped. As such, he seems to have developed a respiratory infection. I am overdue for a vet visit.

I can fix the enclosure, increase the humidity, and keep him on a good diet indefinitely. I buy store-bought dandelions and other dark leafy greens during winter, give him a cuttlebone, TNT, mazuri pellets, and vitamins + calcium powder, and he grazes at the local park during the warmer months. But I am stuck in college with low or no income for the next two years, and at the rate he is growing, it will be difficult to provide for him. I am nowhere close to owning a property on which I can build an outdoor enclosure, and even if I were to succeed in doing that, the climate tends to be cold and dry for a good portion of the year.

I never wanted to admit this, probably out of selfishness, but perhaps I should let him go. I love sulcatas, and I am devoted to animals in general, but ultimately, their right to a happy and healthy life supercedes my wants. In a few years I will likely have some income, much of which I will happily spend to ensure my tortoise's health, but I fear that these next few years will not be good for his development as I struggle to provide for his basic needs.

I have become very attached to this animal, but fortunately I think he is not attached to me (I'm not sure if reptiles can form bonds with humans). Should I let him go or hang on and try to fix everything I can until I have a stable income and a house/yard of my own? If so, how would I release him into better hands? Thank you for reading this.

EvanM

Annandale, VA
This is a hard choice. Good for you for thinking about what’s best for your tortoise. If you do decide he needs a new home I would look for a reputable person in a more southern climate
Like I said, I am very attached to this animal. I would be emotionally ravaged should I decide to let him go. But ultimately, I need to determine whether releasing him will be more or less beneficial to his quality of life, as opposed to keeping him. I can always move on, but if he suffers as a result of my stubbornness, then I am not a responsible person.

I have been planning to move to a southern climate after I have a stable job, the only issue is that I don't know when that stability will begin. I am not worth much in the labor marketplace until my education is complete. If it takes more than a few years, then I will likely run out of accommodations for Clover before then.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's up to you and what your parents can do too help. Many sulcatas live in cold climate area with snow. The shed would need expanding for those really cold days he cant or wont go outside. I would try to get the yard stopped from being sprayed so he can roam daily within a fenced area when it is nice out. If its it's for a couple more years I think it's very doable. Its whether you want to do it and if you can get the means $$ to do it.
Rehoming him is a good choice if you cant make things better.

EvanM

Annandale, VA
This is a hard choice. Good for you for thinking about what’s best for your tortoise. If you do decide he needs a new home I would look for a reputable person in a more southern climate
Like I said, I am very attached to this animal. I would be emotionally ravaged should I decide to let him go. But ultimately, I need to determine whether releasing him will be more or less beneficial to his quality of life, as opposed to keeping him. I can always move on, but if he suffers as a result of my stubbornness, then I am not a responsible person.

I have been planning to move to a southern climate after I have a stable job, the only issue is that I don't know when that stability will begin. I am not worth much in the labor marketplace until my education is complete. If it takes more than a few years, then I will likely run out of accommodations for Clover before then.
It's up to you and what your parents can do too help. Many sulcatas live in cold climate area with snow. The shed would need expanding for those really cold days he cant or wont go outside. I would try to get the yard stopped from being sprayed so he can roam daily within a fenced area when it is nice out. If its it's for a couple more years I think it's very doable. Its whether you want to do it and if you can get the means $$ to do it.
Rehoming him is a good choice if you cant make things better.
My mom would never allow me to build anything permanent in the back yard without serious convincing - I consider it impossible at this point. However, there is space for me to set up a temporary shed, like the kind you buy in hardware stores. Would that be suitable, provided it meets certain criteria ie. dimensions, insulation, etc? I could certainly save up some money to make that a possibility.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

My mom would never allow me to build anything permanent in the back yard without serious convincing - I consider it impossible at this point. However, there is space for me to set up a temporary shed, like the kind you buy in hardware stores. Would that be suitable, provided it meets certain criteria ie. dimensions, insulation, etc? I could certainly save up some money to make that a possibility.
Yes many use them and just add what is needed.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
If you are truly attached to Clover, you should do everything you can to keep your buddy. I think you will have regrets if you do not. You always have the option of finding a new home for Clover, but from what you have shared, I don't think you are quite at that point. Reptiles don't really exude much in terms of emotion that we readily pick up on, but I think there's enough evidence that they do indeed form attachments and thus Clover is likely quite attached to you as well. In the long run, if you can do it, it would likely be better from Clover's perspective to have someone they are used to and who is as devoted as you seem, to be in their life. It sounds like your parents are being fairly supportive and fair--you aren't at the point where you are completely unable to provide for Clover. I would suggest checking with local grocery stores and if you are in area where there are vegetable stands, local farmers who might be willing to donate produce that is heading for the discard pile. You'll have to rescue the good parts, but that can be done. Maybe you can convince your parents to start a garden so you can grow some weeds and greens--even here in the frozen north I am able to grow some things late into the season and am hoping to start doing so year-round. Since you have a sulcata, you can also feed chopped hay--bales of hay (get second cutting and make sure it is dry and dark green) last quite awhile and aren't that costly. I'm sure you have a part-time job and it might mean giving up some things for yourself, but if you are resourceful, you can do this!! Good luck!!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
@EvanM I hope you can find a way to keep Clover. It sounds like in a few years you will have a more stable situation where you can give him the care he deserves. I'd hate to see you have to give him up at this point.

Let us know what problems you're running into, there's usually someone on here that has a good idea on a solution no matter what the situation is.

Can you share some pictures of your little guy and his enclosure?

bluewolf

Melbourne Florida
I live in Northern Virginia. I have a ~3 year old sulcata named Clover who is about 11" and 8.2lb (scale might be low). I bought him as a hatchling and I have got the idea in my head that I want to keep him for life. But right now I am a college student with no income, I live in a temperate climate (cold for half the year), and he cannot graze in my backyard as it is sprayed for weeds. Furthermore, my dad helped me build him a 4x8 enclosure last year

I have become very attached to this animal, but fortunately I think he is not attached to me (I'm not sure if reptiles can form bonds with humans). Should I let him go or hang on and try to fix everything Thank you for reading this.

sounds like you and your dad have done a lot for Clover for 3 years. I am not a Sucata mom but the ones I have met seem friendly and sweet to me. Florida USA is a popular place for these big guys. Good luck!!!

Starkville,MS
I understand how hard this decision is for you! If you do decide to rehome him, we have room for another one. We are in Northeast MS. I’d be glad to tell you more about my situation if you are still interested. You can email or text/call me at. 6622634006

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I wondered if there was anyone who did offer a temporary home for Clover? Just an idea.

EvanM

Annandale, VA
Thanks to everyone who replied. First, here are some pictures of Clover and his enclosure.Clover 1.jpg Clover 2.jpg
I know that his enclosure is too dry, and he lacks varied climates within it. I have dry japanese stilt grass that I pulled from the neighborhood and use as bedding, that I wet from time to time. When my last final exam is over (tomorrow), I am going to build a wooden framed lid, which will be covered with plastic sheeting and the holes lined with aluminum foil to insulate the heat from the lamps. Temperatures are 82-87 in the cooler areas and 97 directly under the lamps. At night the temperatures are around 78 to 80. These are all about 2-3 degrees lower than normal levels right now, as it is winter time. There is a radiator which is constantly running to keep the ambient temperature up. When the lid is installed, both heat and humidity will go up, as I will keep the substrate (reptibark - sorry Tom) moistened with water. Right now, it evaporates too quickly, so I spray him down about 3 times a day and soak him about twice a week.

As far as diet goes, I will be introducing Orchard grass hay into his diet starting in the next 2-3 days, and continue to feed store-bought dandelions and dark greens. I treat him to a fruit on occasion, maybe once a month or less. He has constant access to a cuttlebone and eats one fairly often, maybe once a week.

As far as income goes, I am willing to spend a good portion of it on him, and plan to upgrade him to a full shed before the end of summer next year.

If for some reason I cannot upgrade his enclosure to a more stable and healthy environment, I will contact someone to temporarily house him. @Heaven’s Jubilee Farm thank you so much for the offer. I would be more than willing to transfer him temporarily if things to not go as planned.

Short story about his name: I thought he was a girl at first due to my lack of knowledge, but a few months ago he flashed his genitals while getting a bath and I have since decided to keep his feminine name. I saw no reason to change it. Though lately I tend to call him "Toobaloo" for whatever reason - sometimes even "Tooba/Tuba."

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
@EvanM That doesn't look too bad for a temporary situation until you have the resources to devote.

Good luck - please let us know if you have any questions or run into any issues. We'd love to see you keep Clover :<3: