Nesting Box

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello all, I have a 2 year old Red Foot, I know it is still a bit to young to be sexed, and way too young to need a nest box (if its a girl) but I do have a few questions.I won't be breeding her but I heard they need one regardless?
1. What age will she need a nest box
2. What size should the nest box be
3. What substrate in the nest box
4. Do red foots normally become egg-bound? (it scares me to literal death)
5. Is there any thing I can do to ensure she doesn't get egg bound
6. If you have any other information regarding nesting red foots and their boxes please let me know!

Heres Tulip!

Attachments

• IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is this tort kept outdoors?
I don't use nest boxes. I just make areas. Usually under some bushes or a giant half flower pot where I have taken a spade or a small shovel and broken up the soil into a softer, easier to dig composition.
Redfoot seem to love to lay eggs where they are not out in the open. And they also seem pretty lazy about digging. But I'm pretty certain that even though the weather here in south Florida might mimic the Redfoots natural range, the soil is probably softer than our sand and rocks. Even after many years of mulch composting, the ground is still pretty solid out there in the enclosures.
I've had females that always laid eggs. Late in the summer. Several clutches. And ive had some that never laid.
I do not let my resident male near the females.
I do not breed them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all, I have a 2 year old Red Foot, I know it is still a bit to young to be sexed, and way too young to need a nest box (if its a girl) but I do have a few questions.I won't be breeding her but I heard they need one regardless?
1. What age will she need a nest box
2. What size should the nest box be
3. What substrate in the nest box
4. Do red foots normally become egg-bound? (it scares me to literal death)
5. Is there any thing I can do to ensure she doesn't get egg bound
6. If you have any other information regarding nesting red foots and their boxes please let me know!

Heres Tulip!
When the time comes, house the tortoise outside as much as the weather will allow, and you won't need a nest box. A heated night box will allow you to do this most of every year where you are. I've never used a nest box for any species. They pick a spot on the ground in their large outdoor enclosures, and dig themselves a nest. During colder weather, I hang a 250 watt CHE in a hood over them so they don't get too cold to finish.

If you just have one tortoise, egg laying is very unlikely. Possible, but not likely. I know that it does happen on rare occasion, but I have never had a lone female lay eggs. Only after contact with a male.