Networking / looking for new species

TannerC33

Location (City and/or State)
Green Lane
Hello everyone! My name is Tanner and caring for tortoises is going to be a life long passion of mine. I’ve owned tortoises of various species since I was 12 years old, ranging from Russians, hermanns, Greeks, bells hingebacks, Redfoots, and Suriname yellowfoots. Currently I own a 1.4 group of Suriname yellowfoots. Some pictures of my tortoises and enclosures are below. One thing that strikes me most about tortoises is being able to care for the species that are considered a challenge, or even helping establish endangered species in captivity. I would love to find people on here to network with. I am a member of the ttpg group on Facebook and have met a few friends through there as well. Some species I would love to work with in the future are Kinixys belliana (again), Kinixys Erosa, Chacos, and possibly even one of the 3 subspecies of Pyxis!IMG_7946.jpeg71669099622__79699A6A-276E-427C-B80E-D409D8433E86.jpegIMG_0560.jpegIMG_0562.jpegIMG_0559.jpegIMG_0461.jpegIMG_0117.jpegIMG_9933.jpegIMG_9034.jpegIMG_9142.jpegDSC05736.jpegDSC05709.jpegIMG_8735.jpegIMG_7447.jpegIMG_6998.jpegIMG_0283.jpeg66442126139__60B65B30-0A87-4ADF-9ADD-6D1598E7D9F2.jpegIMG_4814.jpegIMG_4801.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Beautiful tortoises
Gotta know, what the heck is that big enclosed shed? lined with? Is it that spray insulation? If so, you don't see them trying to eat it or rubbing up on it and it falling apart?
It's pretty cool looking. Reminds me of a cave, almost thought it was like a dried mud cave.
Sorry I can't help you with those species. Can't think who might have any of them either.

TannerC33

Green Lane
Beautiful tortoises
Gotta know, what the heck is that big enclosed shed? lined with? Is it that spray insulation? If so, you don't see them trying to eat it or rubbing up on it and it falling apart?
It's pretty cool looking. Reminds me of a cave, almost thought it was like a dried mud cave.
Sorry I can't help you with those species. Can't think who might have any of them either.
Yes it is a spray insulation called tiger foam, it turns nearly rock solid. I house my yellow foots in it and they get fed regularly so I’ve never seen them pick at it. I do plan on spraying grout on it to make it look like more natural rock this summer while I keep them outside. I also am putting in a fountain with a shallow stream for them! More updated photos to come

TannerC33

Green Lane
Yes it is a spray insulation called tiger foam, it turns nearly rock solid. I house my yellow foots in it and they get fed regularly so I’ve never seen them pick at it. I do plan on spraying grout on it to make it look like more natural rock this summer while I keep them outside. I also am putting in a fountain with a shallow stream for them! More updated photos to come
And yes it basically is a shed lol. I bought an 8x16 car port and assembled it in my basement as their winter enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Great pictures, Tanner! I have a small (2.3) breeding group of Chelonoidis denticulata, but have not been able to figure out what they need to be prolific. I get eggs that don't hatch, eggs laid ON the ground, eggs on the floor of the shelter, eggs that are just pooped out willy nilly, etc. This past week-end I noticed a female digging with her back feet and the following morning gathered up six eggs off the top of the ground in that location. In the almost ten years I've been trying I've hatched babies from four clutches, amounting to seven babies. Not a very good average. These are just regular yellowfoots, not the giants.

I've always wanted to go to the TTPG gathering in Arizona, but I'm getting barn sour in my old age and just don't leave the house - especially to travel.

Anywho, good to see you finally posting.

TannerC33

Green Lane
Great pictures, Tanner! I have a small (2.3) breeding group of Chelonoidis denticulata, but have not been able to figure out what they need to be prolific. I get eggs that don't hatch, eggs laid ON the ground, eggs on the floor of the shelter, eggs that are just pooped out willy nilly, etc. This past week-end I noticed a female digging with her back feet and the following morning gathered up six eggs off the top of the ground in that location. In the almost ten years I've been trying I've hatched babies from four clutches, amounting to seven babies. Not a very good average. These are just regular yellowfoots, not the giants.

I've always wanted to go to the TTPG gathering in Arizona, but I'm getting barn sour in my old age and just don't leave the house - especially to travel.

Anywho, good to see you finally posting.
Very interesting info! I’ve never experienced egg laying behavior like that before. I’ve owned mine 3 years now and this year was the first year they started laying (28 eggs so far). I can say for a fact that my females definitely like very wet soil for forming their egg chamber and will dig the hole about 9-10” deep. I’d say about 20 of the eggs are fertile, although I have heard from many others that yellowfoots are difficult to hatch. They’re due to hatch in late July so we shall see if I have any luck with them breaking through.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I swear I'm going to kidnap you one year and drive you to Arizona!!!

{I'm just kidding everyone. Don't call the authorities on me...}

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Great setup, I hope you stay around. I am sure you would add to the ton of knowledge here on TFO.
Ok where is Green Lane?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I am located in Pennsylvania, about an hour north of Philadelphia
Is the tiger foam something you can buy in a can? Or just bulk canisters? I have one of those dog igloos my sulcata uses as a cool hide. I was thinking about a spray foam to give it some insulation.

TannerC33

Green Lane
Is the tiger foam something you can buy in a can? Or just bulk canisters? I have one of those dog igloos my sulcata uses as a cool hide. I was thinking about a spray foam to give it some insulation.
I’m pretty sure you have to buy it in canisters, they’re about the size of propane tanks and will last for many uses. One kit was able to insulated my entire enclosure, and I still had extra to insulated their dog house in the outdoor enclosure. I’m sure they make different spray foam products in smaller cans, it is a lot higher quality than great stuff foam.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I’m pretty sure you have to buy it in canisters, they’re about the size of propane tanks and will last for many uses. One kit was able to insulated my entire enclosure, and I still had extra to insulated their dog house in the outdoor enclosure. I’m sure they make different spray foam products in smaller cans, it is a lot higher quality than great stuff foam.
Thanks, time to go see what Google has.

TannerC33

Green Lane
My babies have hatched, 9 out of 14 eggs in the first 2 clutches from two of my females turned out fertile!IMG_3886.jpegIMG_3885.jpeg
Very interesting info! I’ve never experienced egg laying behavior like that before. I’ve owned mine 3 years now and this year was the first year they started laying (28 eggs so far). I can say for a fact that my females definitely like very wet soil for forming their egg chamber and will dig the hole about 9-10” deep. I’d say about 20 of the eggs are fertile, although I have heard from many others that yellowfoots are difficult to hatch. They’re due to hatch in late July so we shall see if I have any luck with them breaking through.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My babies have hatched, 9 out of 14 eggs in the first 2 clutches from two of my females turned out fertile!View attachment 373886View attachment 373887
Wow! That is great. Few people breed these and I can't remember seeing CB hatchlings before these. The shell color and texture almost look like elongata, and then you see the beautiful black skin and yellow dots. So gorgeous.

Congratulations. Well done! Thank you for sharing with us. More pics are welcome.