New and in research mode

PaysonHobbybist

Location (City and/or State)
Payson, UT
Hello everyone,

I am new to this community. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it.

I am currently in the relative beginning of researching out tortoises and am looking for help in deciding a couple things prior to purchasing any sort of an animal. The purchase is not scheduled yet and I do not have a timeframe. My timeframe is whenever I feel like I have researched and am able to provide a tortoise with the appropriate care for it to be healthy and happy.

So here is what I am looking to get help on. I am trying to figure out what type of tortoise will be the best for me in my situation and am looking for advice so I can narrow down the type I would like.

I am looking for a few specific characteristics. First, I want one that is fairly easy to care for. I would not want to jump into a more advanced type without experience first. Second, I am looking for a species that stays relatively small and does not need an enormous enclosure. Third, I am looking for a type that is not completely common and found everywhere in the trade but is also interesting and will make for a great pet.

Could anyone give advice and opinions on what will be best for me within these parameters?

As soon as I have decided on a breed of tortoise I will begin my extensive research and will begin to set up the enclosure.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russians are a pretty good first tortoise. They're very personable, easy to care for and best of all (for your geographical area) they brumate in the winter so you don't have to worry about setting them up indoors.