New and worried sulcata parent here

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
Yes , taking the grow tent idea serious seems like a good plan. I've got a list of my supplies for my next project. I like to do research for my materials, what can I say. But my layout is going to be great. I've had the spot planned out where I wanted the grow tent to be set up. I've just been procrastinating for a few months like an idiot. I spent all my tortoise funds on plants and substrate instead being selfish. Be careful, prices vary on these things!!!

UnHooked

Kilgore Texas
Everything the other members have said is true. You need a closed chamber enclosure. One of the fastest ways to achieve that is to order a grow tent from Amazon. Here are some pictures to show you what I mean.

View attachment 347690
View attachment 347689
View attachment 347691

If you order a grow tent, it will be turned onto its side for your use. So the dimensions for height will actually be width, and the width will be the height of the enclosure.

If you will read this post, it may help you decide what you want to do.

Another way is to completely cover your current enclosure with a plastic tent-like structure. You can use a shower curtain liner for this. You build a framework over the enclosure, then drape the shower curtain over the frame. All your lights, etc hang under the plastic.

View attachment 347694

View attachment 347696

I have a grow tent that I actually use to grow plants. I just wanted to show you what it looks like. It would be turned on its side..
View attachment 347695

As for your tortoise not eating, it's true that fixing his housing will help a lot. But torts don't like any kind of change, and they tend to sulk for a while. It can take up to 2 weeks for them to adjust, but less than a week is more usual for a baby. Suddenly he'll be chomping greens like it's his last meal. 😃
So without being able to see your tort through the tent, do u just open it throughout the day to check on him?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
So without being able to see your tort through the tent, do u just open it throughout the day to check on him?
I buy a tent with a window, but I have also made one. I get it all set up, then I took am exacto knife and cut a half moon shape( mainly because That's the shape of the door anyway and it was just easiest to follow without making it look like a hot mess lol). I left the top uncut so it was more like a flap so I could close it at night so they could have complete darkness but that's up to you. Once that was done I took a piece of thicker clear shower curtain that fit and I sewed it into it place by hand. It was really tedious lol but I liked how it turned out. After that was done I took the black gorilla tape and taped the inside of the seams and the outside so there were no openingsAfter that was done I took the black gorilla tape and taped the inside of the seams and the outside so there were no openings