New AZ Desert Tortoise Hatchiling

Nosnibor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hey there,

I just received this little guy on Christmas and things seem to be going great. I have more information in the introductions threads but I live in Arizona and grew up with my parents tortoise that they have had for about 25 years, but the hatchling part I am new to. Since I only received him on Christmas day he is staying top side for the winter in a large Rubbermaid type tote filled with soil from the backyard he gets his UVB and heat from an Exo Terra Solar-Glo 125W. He has constant access to a water dish and has been eating mostly dandelion greens. I have offered some rose leaves but he had no interest, but since it is weed season in this part of Arizona, dandelion greens are easy to come by. I do make sure they come from my yard that has not been sprayed with any weed killers. I did order some seed for alfalfa, dandelion, clover and dichondra, and that is on the way, today I will order some tortoise grazing seed mix from AZ tortoise compound. Has anyone used this mix before? I have now started giving him daily warm water baths but have not yet started using any baby food in the baths, hopefully soon. I have learned so much from TFO so far by searching for and reading previous threads but if you have any tips let me know.

Here are some pictures that I posted in the introductions.
photo 3.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 6.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
beautiful hatchling! Best of luck with him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. No need for baby food soaks on a healthy tortoise. He looks pretty good.

I typed this up for russians, but I house baby DTs exactly the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

In the care sheet I recommend coco coir, but your yard dirt should work just as well. No need to change it. If you don't have a humid hide, I would add one.

Nosnibor

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thank you diamondbp and Tom. Tom I read your care sheet and thank you for posting a link here, it was very informative and I even think I will use some of your examples to make a sunning pen for my little guy. I do have some clean coco fiber laying around from when I kept my tree frogs so that will probably be my next thing to do to make a more humid hide for my G. morafkai.

Nosnibor

5 Year Member
Arizona
This morning was the first time this little guy got to eat some petunias. I tossed in some hibiscus leaves and a wilted hibiscus flower but when I left for work he hadn't touched anything but the petunias. When I was talking to my mom she said that she has to plant he petunias away form her DT because he will eat them down to stubs. Everyone else have the same experience? Here's a pic of the little guy eating.
9Jan2014.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: