New babies

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I was pulling up the Elephant grass that was planted in my Gulf Coast box turtle yard by the birds and I found these:

Gulf Coast babies 9-15-14.jpg

I dug carefully all around that spot and 4 was all I could see.

The Elephant Grass is about 3 or 4 feet tall, and is covering the whole yard, with just little tunnels where the turtles have walked the paths. I didn't think any eggs would hatch in there because the sun can't reach the ground to warm it.

Several years ago I bought seeds for Elephant Grass and planted them in the leopard yard and the sulcata yard. The grass never did well in those places, I guess because the tortoises ate it, but it must have gone to seed because in the yards where the inhabitants don't eat grass, it grows wild!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Fantastic Yvonne. I found some broken shells, so I don't know if there are any, but I didn't do any digging. Nature will have to do it's own work. Not being mean, but just have too much on my plate right now. Good luck with your babies.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
That's awesome, Yvonne!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I was pulling up the Elephant grass that was planted in my Gulf Coast box turtle yard by the birds and I found these:

View attachment 95943

I dug carefully all around that spot and 4 was all I could see.

The Elephant Grass is about 3 or 4 feet tall, and is covering the whole yard, with just little tunnels where the turtles have walked the paths. I didn't think any eggs would hatch in there because the sun can't reach the ground to warm it.

Several years ago I bought seeds for Elephant Grass and planted them in the leopard yard and the sulcata yard. The grass never did well in those places, I guess because the tortoises ate it, but it must have gone to seed because in the yards where the inhabitants don't eat grass, it grows wild!
Because that's what you need…more turtles! HA!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
It's so much fun to find them like that, isn't it? Like finding hidden treasure! Enjoy!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
They look great. What do the parents look like?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW! ! !

What a good find! ! ! ! ! ! Congrats! ! !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
point your mouse over "inbox" in the upper right corner of the screen. When the drop down window shows up click on "start a new conversation." Only the people that you type into the "participants" section will be able to see the conversation.

But I have to warn you. This grass ends up being a pretty invasive weed.

GotTurtles

10 Year Member!
Fresno, Ca
Nice find Yvonne. I've been looking everyday but no luck yet. Maybe this mornings rain might get them out.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
point your mouse over "inbox" in the upper right corner of the screen. When the drop down window shows up click on "start a new conversation." Only the people that you type into the "participants" section will be able to see the conversation.

But I have to warn you. This grass ends up being a pretty invasive weed.
Pm sent... Lol.