Landscaping tortoise enclosure

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello, I am trying to landscape my leopard tortoises new enclosures. I am unable to find elephant grass seeds in Arizona but I was able to find the purple variety. The only kind of Napier Grass I can find is this. I was curious is anybody has an experience with this type of elephant grass instead of the green one. I just want to make sure it’s safe. Thank you!

Princess Napier Grass​

Pennisetum purpureum 'Princess' PP​

Attachments

• 7B5EC963-26BC-4040-ACD7-8E216A3D522D.png
    7B5EC963-26BC-4040-ACD7-8E216A3D522D.png
    573.8 KB · Views: 9

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have always used fountain grass in my tortoise enclosures in past set ups. I am a little weak on the proper names for things, but in my brief research it seems fountain grass is the same as this Princess Napier Grass you are asking about.

Never had an issue with it as far as the tortoises were concerned. They didn't really eat it intentionally, other than being curious after I would trim the plants down. I don't use them any more because of all the bugs it attracts.

Are you considering this plant as a potential food source, or just for decoration?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've only ever used spider plants or lyriopi.
Given time, they grow into large brushy bushes and I've never had a tort attempt to eat any of it.
I have no experience with Elephant grass.
I asked my plant shop about some years ago. They couldn't get any and I never pursued it.
It'd be great for a giant enclosure.
Right now mine in just 12'x30'

Arizona
I have always used fountain grass in my tortoise enclosures in past set ups. I am a little weak on the proper names for things, but in my brief research it seems fountain grass is the same as this Princess Napier Grass you are asking about.

Never had an issue with it as far as the tortoises were concerned. They didn't really eat it intentionally, other than being curious after I would trim the plants down. I don't use them any more because of all the bugs it attracts.

Are you considering this plant as a potential food source, or just for decoration?
Mainly as a hiding place for them. Thank you for the response!

Arizona
I've only ever used spider plants or lyriopi.
Given time, they grow into large brushy bushes and I've never had a tort attempt to eat any of it.
I have no experience with Elephant grass.
I asked my plant shop about some years ago. They couldn't get any and I never pursued it.
It'd be great for a giant enclosure.
Right now mine in just 12'x30'
I’ve been on the hunt for the green elephant grass that grows pretty large but it seems very hard to get ahold of.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Ensure you add stones and also block view end to end with a small log or similar. Shade and sunny spots very important. Mine loves walking around the enclosure and climbing over gutter pipes , stones and a hollowed out half log. This added interest and enrichment.

Arizona
Ensure you add stones and also block view end to end with a small log or similar. Shade and sunny spots very important. Mine loves walking around the enclosure and climbing over gutter pipes , stones and a hollowed out half log. This added interest and enrichment.
Thank you! I actually have some rocks in their current enclosure and they love pushing them around.