Plants for Enclosure

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I'm hunting for great plants to surround Sweetheart's enclosure. Do you have any tips? I bought a hibiscus today. He already enjoyed a couple of leaves with his vitamin sprinkled on them. I hunted for elephant grass, but couldn't find any. Any other tall, long grass that would also work. We are in Louisiana.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
I'm hunting for great plants to surround Sweetheart's enclosure. Do you have any tips? I bought a hibiscus today. He already enjoyed a couple of leaves with his vitamin sprinkled on them. I hunted for elephant grass, but couldn't find any. Any other tall, long grass that would also work. We are in Louisiana.

Where in Louisiana? I’m in West Baton Rouge Parish.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
How big is your sulcata and what size is the enclosure?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
There are several places on-line to buy seeds and seed mixes for sulcata. https://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes is one source. I have used their Broadleaf Testudo mix. Great food source. You could plant a pasture mix. I've used several from GrowOrganic.com. Here is a link to their grass mixes. https://www.groworganic.com/search?q=pasture+seed+mix The Premium Horse Pasture mix has been the best producer of grass per square foot that I have found. Their Herbal Pasture mix I like because of the variety of plants.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
If you have just purchased this plant, it could have chemicals in. Unless you know for sure, you should not give it to your tort for 6 months to a year. Most places spray or use sysemic chemicals to keep bugs away and help growth. These can be very harmful to your tort. It takes a bit of time for for these chemicals to work out of the plant. Unless where you bought it from can prove they did not use any chemical, they are organic, I would not feed these to the tort