Should I get these...

dannylozano10

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio,tx
Hey guys I know I ask a lot of questions but I just want to make sure before buying any thing.but basically I'm trying to ask are all these plant seeds ok to grow for my tortoise I'm getting

hibiscus plant seeds:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454898342.347904.jpg

Alfalfa grass seeds(for enclosure):
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454898451.115319.jpg

Elephant grass seeds(Pennisetum purpureum:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454898535.708911.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes to hibiscus and yes to elephant grass. those are some very large hibiscus flowers now. Makes me wonder if they actually R giant. lots of misleading sales from companies in China.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Yes to hibiscus and yes to elephant grass. those are some very large hibiscus flowers now. Makes me wonder if they actually R giant. lots of misleading sales from companies in China.

Ok cool thanks I guess I will still trust em might as well lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russians are not grass eaters, so I wouldn't bother with the elephant grass.

Get this alfalfa:
http://www.groworganic.com/non-dormant-alfalfa-rhizocoated-lb.html

Also plant gazania, spineless opuntia, grape vines, lavatera, hollyhock, african hibiscus, cape honeysuckle, sunflowers and various squashes for the leaves and blooms, and get some of Tyler's "Testudo Mix: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoisesupply-com-testudo-seed-mix-thread.71890/

There are lots and lots of others. Try lots of stuff to see what does well in your area. Look for plantain and dandelions in your area and snag the seeds at the right time of year. Sowthistle and a bunch of others too.

Read the list in this thread, but skip all the text about grass for a sulcata…
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Just do an internet search for any of these names that are not familiar to you. You will learn so much!

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Ok so today I ordered the pansy hibiscus cactus and testudo mix seeds (I also ordered a gram scale and a thermometer for my fridge I'm going to use):)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey tom I heard turnip greens are good is that true???? Should I order some seeds????

You already did. There are turnip seeds in your "Testudo Seed Mix" from Tyler. It will be the first and most prominent thing to grow, but it will eventually die off as summer approaches and be replaced by lots of other stuff.