New Baby Cherryhead

redfoots333

My boyfriend is getting a new baby cherryhead on Tuesday. This is his first time having a tortoise. I currently have a redfoot tortoise, but I got it when it was about a year old. The tortoise my boyfriend is getting is only 1 month old. Is there anything I should know about baby tortoises so I can tell him before he gets it? Thanks in advance! :p:tort:

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
My two cents for a one month tort parent would be A) initial set up should have no corners, until you have determined if your tort is a "climber/flipper" this is the number one priority B) NO UNFILTERED SUN, if you have a tort outside in a pen (screened of course) and there's ANY chance it will have full sun on it there's a good chance you'll bake the little guy C) calcium! fast growth at this age need calcium and good cal/ph ratio foods D) HUMIDITY.. if you start with smooth shell growth from day one you'll probably avoid pyrmading

abclements

5 Year Member
All fantastic advice! Not much I can add here. Just have the initial set up ready to go when the trot gets there. Run it for a few days prior and make sure your temps and humidity are good to go and cross check it with information on here! Temps with such a small tort have to be spot on. My only other advice is to get him to join the forum! That way he can ask all sorts of questions! :) Good luck!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Check out Turtletary.com Red foot caresheet. You will get important hatchling care .
They need warmth and humidity, among other things.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I'm glad I read this. I will be adding more shaded spots and blocking off corners, preferably with shade-providing objects. I definitely need to make sure the wee one's feeding area is shaded.

Last edited: