New Baby Hermanns

Status
Not open for further replies.

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane, Washington
So, I received a gorgeous little hatchling from Tyler this morning. It had a nice soak, ate some breakfast and then explored the (relatively) gigantic Hermanni Unit of the tort condo I finished building last week.

The Russian Unit, next door, has been noisy with the sound of scratching neighbors. Our hatchling has been able to nap through the partying, so all seems well.

My Question: How much of "keep them hot and HUMID" applies to testudo hatchlings?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, congrats on the new baby! Can't help with your question, just wanted to say, let's see some pictures!!!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Yay, congrats on the new baby!! Need pictures so we can gush about how cute it is!! Tell the Russians to keep it down the baby is sleeping!! LOL!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I think I'm going to need pictures before I can answer any questions.
;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Man. I don't know what it is, but I just love the look of the Hermanns tortoises. Yours is gorgeous.

I don't know if anyone has tried the hot and humid techniques with any Testudo yet. I intend to give it a go, but I have not done it yet. Lots of people raise them smooth and healthy without going to extremes though. I don't think offering a humid hide box would be bad for any species of tortoise. Like wise with daily soaks for babies.

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
Nice nice. Congrats. Everytime I see babies of another species, I want one of them to!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
When indoors I keep young Hermann's and all other Northern Mediterranean Testudo species at about 75-82 degrees during the daytime with a basking area that reaches about 95-105 degrees. Ambient air humidity in the 50-65% range. At night the temperatures aveage about 60-65 degrees, humidity about the same. I spray their entire enclosure twice daily, saturate once a week and turn the substrate over. I soak them 2-3 times a week to keep them well hydrated.
When they're outdoors from about early May to mid-October they live under natural conditions, including temperatures that range as low as the high 40's at night to the low 90's during the daytime. Humidity here where I live often fluctuates greatly from day to day and week to week.
I absolutely disagree with keeping Northern Mediterraneans "hot", but do agree with keeping young, developing offspring "humid". Most important is that they remain well hydrated by drinking and that they have a fairly moist substrate. Ambient air humidity, while important, is secondary in importance compared to hydration and substrate moisture.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Man. I don't know what it is, but I just love the look of the Hermanns tortoises. Yours is gorgeous.

I don't know if anyone has tried the hot and humid techniques with any Testudo yet. I intend to give it a go, but I have not done it yet. Lots of people raise them smooth and healthy without going to extremes though. I don't think offering a humid hide box would be bad for any species of tortoise. Like wise with daily soaks for babies.

1 more vote for a humid hide-away and daily soak...can't hurt. :cool:

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
My vote (and the way it had been raised) is pretty close to what GBTorts said. I've had them on 2"+ moistened peat with a handful of cypress mixed in, which they will be buried in 20 hours a day (and that is fine). I turn the substrate over every time I soak them, while they're out soaking. I saturate it about 2-3 times a week (opposite days of the soakings) and mist it almost daily, once a day. They don't need a hide so much if they are able to bury themselves (they would usually bury themselves before they'd use a hide anyway, in my experience). It accomplishes the same thing - a humid microclimate if the tortoise wants it. Testudo are very capable of handling cold temperatures, and they don't have a crazy habit of pyramiding even when raised in less than ideal conditions.

HermannsTrio__51184_zoom.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great info Tyler and GB. Thanks for posting this for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.