New baby, new owner

dfree

Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I received my 2 1/2 month old sulcata two weeks ago. He is doing very well. I have total tortoise love. I have the opportunity to get a baby leapord. I have seen on here that they do well together,and have seen they need to be kept separate. Opionions?

Attachments

• IMG_4328.JPG
    IMG_4328.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Adorable! :<3: Please give your little tort a daily soak in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding. ;)

Read the so-called "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and don't hesitate to ask any question if in doubt/in need of help.

As for a second tort, I totally agree with @*debora* .

And a very warm welcome to the forum.:D

dfree

Ga
Thanks. I actually soak him twice a day. Is that too much?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks. I actually soak him twice a day. Is that too much?
Personally, I believe that is fine. :)It also depends on the climate back there. I for one live in Jordan, where the climate is EXTREMELY DRY. :(Therefore I give Oli every day. Know what I mean?

dfree

Ga
What's Oli? I keep his humidity above 80%

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Apologies, don't know. But I do all I can to keep his enclosure humid: I spray his enclosure with water, daily. I then mix the substrate with my hands.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oli is her tortoise, I believe he's a Greek.

I never mix species, and I won't keep two tortoises together - three or more, but never two.

welcome! Be sure to read the important threads pinned at the top of the sulcata section.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Apologies, don't know. But I do all I can to keep his enclosure humid: I spray his enclosure with water, daily. I then mix the substrate with my hands.
Sorry AGAIN!I said "Don't know" meaning the humidity; and not what species Oli is.

@Yvonne G is correct: he is a Greek tort. Thanks @Yvonne G .

dfree

Ga
Oli is her tortoise, I believe he's a Greek.

I never mix species, and I won't keep two tortoises together - three or more, but never two.

welcome! Be sure to read the important threads pinned at the top of the sulcata section.
Three or more is ok but not two?

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
From what I've read from more experienced keepers, never put just 2 together. Almost always one will "bully" the other. They are solitary creatures and don't like company like mammals do. Some are better than others though, redfoots do well in groups as do leopards. When they are adults and there is 1 male 1 female, the male will mate constantly with the female causing her stress. If you put one male with multiple females he can spread the love. Also it's better to have a large area so that the female can escape the males loving.
As far as mixing species, I wouldn't do it. Although leopard and sulcata care is the same, sulcatas get much bigger and are usually more territorial than Leo's.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
But not 3 of different species. You should never mix species. Your sulcata will get much bigger than the leopard. Even if you get 3 of the same species, they still may not get along and you might be forced to create separate habitats for each.

dfree

Ga
From what I've read from more experienced keepers, never put just 2 together. Almost always one will "bully" the other. They are solitary creatures and don't like company like mammals do. Some are better than others though, redfoots do well in groups as do leopards. When they are adults and there is 1 male 1 female, the male will mate constantly with the female causing her stress. If you put one male with multiple females he can spread the love. Also it's better to have a large area so that the female can escape the males loving.
As far as mixing species, I wouldn't do it. Although leopard and sulcata care is the same, sulcatas get much bigger and are usually more territorial than Leo's.
But not 3 of different species. You should never mix species. Your sulcata will get much bigger than the leopard. Even if you get 3 of the same species, they still may not get along and you might be forced to create separate habitats for each.
Thank you so much!