New Baby Redfoot - UVB and D3

aholdshoe

Location (City and/or State)
Apollo Beach, FL
I am reading conflicting info between the red foot guide on here other threads on the need for a UVB light.

If they get proper D3 from diet and supplements is it worth having by UVB bulb when it could hurt their eyes. I live in FL and plan to get him outside in the sun regularly and I have heard that 8 hours under a bulb is equivalent to 15 minutes outside.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Just a few hours a week in natural sunlight and you don't need a UVB bulb indoors. They can go a long time without it too. I've raised two with no indoor UVB.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
There can be other benefits to UVB in addition to D3; idk if theres a hard line, but if an animal spends much more time inside than out, I would probably use a UVB lamp inside.

I have heard that 8 hours under a bulb is equivalent to 15 minutes outside.

I would careful with any advice given alongside this sentiment. I don't think anyone knowledgeable about UVB would say this without serious caveats, if they said it at all. I've seen it said with 8-12 hours equaling 15-30 minutes but I don't think theres anything solid behind it and I don't believe it. It may have been more true than false when older styled/weaker fluorescent tubes were compared to summer sun in the south, but with good quality UVB bulbs now it's almost certainly false.

aholdshoe

Apollo Beach, FL
There can be other benefits to UVB in addition to D3; idk if theres a hard line, but if an animal spends much more time inside than out, I would probably use a UVB lamp inside.

I would careful with any advice given alongside this sentiment. I don't think anyone knowledgeable about UVB would say this without serious caveats, if they said it at all. I've seen it said with 8-12 hours equaling 15-30 minutes but I don't think theres anything solid behind it and I don't believe it. It may have been more true than false when older styled/weaker fluorescent tubes were compared to summer sun in the south, but with good quality UVB bulbs now it's almost certainly false.

I thought the 8 hours = 15 minutes seemed a bit off but I have seen it many times.

I have read a lot on here that they don’t like the bright lights and can burn their eyes. Just want a healthy baby red foot.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
With the warmer weather, and it being a redfoot and presumably getting more dietary D3 than some other species, you have some time to think about UVB lamps. A lot of it comes down to personal preference; I think its better to have a well lit enclosure with lots of hides, plants, etc than to try to mimic the dim light levels of forest undergrowth that I've seen some do.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I thought the 8 hours = 15 minutes seemed a bit off but I have seen it many times.

I have read a lot on here that they don’t like the bright lights and can burn their eyes. Just want a healthy baby red foot.
They do not like bright lights.
But the type that "burns" their eyes are the CFL compact coiled florescent bulbs. They are very harsh.
Any T5 HO or even an older T8 can be effective for a Redfoot if mounted at the correct height.
And these would provide all of the light. UVB and visual. So nothing else would be needed except a source of warmth. And for that I'd use a CHE.

Attachments

• 20200130_110441.jpg
    20200130_110441.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20200130_110436.jpg
    20200130_110436.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1