New baby Sulcata Tortoise in Southern, coastal Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetkleis1103

5 Year Member
Hello!

I am the proud new owner of my FOREVER pet a 5mo old Sulcata Tortoise:tort: and I am just trying to take care of this guy/gal as best as I can so she/he can live a long healthy life and I want to make sure he/she gets the BEST start. I'm going to probably be asking A LOT of questions so bear with me!! :D

Thank you fellow Tortoise/turtle owners!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome! Us Oregonians need a support group, with our overcast skies and drizzle. Have you read and studied Toms threads and stickies for raising a healthy, smooth sucata yet? Where'd you pick the little guy up?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Sweetkleis1103

5 Year Member
Hi all!! Thank you for the welcome.

I have been reading and reading to make sure my little guy or gal's shell doesn't pyramid! I will have to look at some of Tom's posts! Thank you! I picked him up at a little local pet store, the name of which I'm completely blanking on... :) I know to feed him 75% grasses and 25%weeds and/or flowers such as rose petals, dandelion leaves and flowers, sow thistle etc. I was reading up on the Sulcata Station website before I found this forum.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Sweetkleis1103 said:
Hi all!! Thank you for the welcome.

I have been reading and reading to make sure my little guy or gal's shell doesn't pyramid! I will have to look at some of Tom's posts! Thank you! I picked him up at a little local pet store, the name of which I'm completely blanking on... :) I know to feed him 75% grasses and 25%weeds and/or flowers such as rose petals, dandelion leaves and flowers, sow thistle etc. I was reading up on the Sulcata Station website before I found this forum.

For a baby, you want to switch those numbers. 75% weeds and 25% grasses. The babies having a shorter gut tract, are much less efficient at extracting nutrients from the long fiber grasses.

Sweetkleis1103

5 Year Member

For a baby, you want to switch those numbers. 75% weeds and 25% grasses. The babies having a shorter gut tract, are much less efficient at extracting nutrients from the long fiber grasses.

Okay! That seems better! I have been trying and trying to get him/her to eat grass but the baby only seems to like dandelions... Ha! Now that i know that it can have 75% weeds I can give it what it likes the most! I know he/she will be happy! Thank you Cowboy_Ken!

P.S. The little tort has yet to be named but once it has one ill stop calling it "it" and "he/she"! Hahahaha.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.