Redfoot in Oregon

ChelseaEHumphrey

Location (City and/or State)
Roseburg or
Hello! I am new to this group and own a 3 year old Redfoot in Oregon. I have found myself in a situation where I have a growing tortoise as well as a growing family and I have no space. I really really want to keep my tortoise but also have absolutely nowhere to put a larger indoor enclosure. Where I am in Oregon "he" can be outside during the day in Summer but winter is another matter. I struggling to keep his husbandry adequate and unfortunately founds are also a slight issue. (Space and humidity are the biggest problems.) I am also struggling with the possibility that rehoming him might be best but the thought of that scares me. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Attachments

• 20240213_141613.jpg
    20240213_141613.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Here's a good thread for you to read. One of the posters, @Maggie3fan , also lives in Oregon:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is the enclosure now?
Will you ever have more space in the near future?
Can you build an insulated heated shed big enough for him to have roaming room thru winter?

ChelseaEHumphrey

Roseburg or
How big is the enclosure now?
Will you ever have more space in the near future?
Can you build an insulated heated shed big enough for him to have roaming room thru winter?
Right now it is 2 feet by 4 feet and I have no way of building a shed big enough for him outside right now. I'm pretty discouraged by it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It seems that you are thinking of re-homing him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Right now it is 2 feet by 4 feet and I have no way of building a shed big enough for him outside right now. I'm pretty discouraged by it.
Unfortunately I think you need to rehome him. A 2x4 is for a hatchling. He will have health problems if you can't give him better.
When/if you ever get a bigger place with the room, you can always get another tortoise. I know it's not the same one, but this one needs/deserves much better than you can give.

ChelseaEHumphrey

Roseburg or
It seems that you are thinking of re-homing him.
Unfortunately that very well may be the case. I just don't want him to go somewhere worse than he has now. I am trying my best but weighing all options. Just giving him to someone who may not care for him better doesn't seem like the right thing.

ChelseaEHumphrey

Roseburg or
Unfortunately I think you need to rehome him. A 2x4 is for a hatchling. He will have health problems if you can't give him better.
When/if you ever get a bigger place with the room, you can always get another tortoise. I know it's not the same one, but this one needs/deserves much better than you can give.
I am not against rehoming him. I just have only had 1 person interested and it did not seem like a good fit either. I have also looked into rescues but have not had great luck there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion your little RF tortoise doesn't need a shed. He's not going to grow big enough to outgrow being an indoor tortoise. He can live outdoors during good weaher, then move indoors for the winter. When that time comes you can worry about a big enough enclosure. Later on today, when I can get on my computer where my pictures are, I'll show you what some of our members have done with limited space.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am not against rehoming him. I just have only had 1 person interested and it did not seem like a good fit either. I have also looked into rescues but have not had great luck there.
I live in Corvallis...I would be glad to help you...I just pm'd you...go to the little envelope on the top right of your screen click on it and you'll see my message

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In my opinion your little RF tortoise doesn't need a shed. He's not going to grow big enough to outgrow being an indoor tortoise. He can live outdoors during good weaher, then move indoors for the winter. When that time comes you can worry about a big enough enclosure. Later on today, when I can get on my computer where my pictures are, I'll show you what some of our members have done with limited space.
Sadly, they have stated they have no room for anything bigger inside. It's only in a 2x4 now. That's even too small to go up as you need enough room for ramps to not be steep. A 2x4 won't do it.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How long is he now? Measure bottom shell from the head area to the tail area, shell only.

ChelseaEHumphrey

Roseburg or
That would be amazing thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have the space to build an outdoor enclosure just not the funds.
Oh okay. That might change things, If you can save up for it. It wouldn't have to be a tall shed. More like a night box but bigger to house him in winter. Take a look at Tom's night boxes, the 4x8 ones. If you could do two of those connected I would think that would be big enough for when he's bigger/adult size. @ZEROPILOT can confirm if that would be big enough for an adult.
I have seen good things made from skids that lots of times you can get for free. As long as you fill in the gaps and use caulk in-between where you fill in and also good insulation. It would have to be heated to though.
He still needs something bigger than what you have now until he can go outside in winter.
Can you go any bigger now? Or if you can rig a ramp on the outside of his enclosure that goes to a second level? The enclosure you have now I believe is too small for a ramp inside it to a second level. I think it would be too steep. You could try it though.
Good luck. I'm out of ideas lol. Hopefully Yvonne has one that will work for you.

ChelseaEHumphrey

Roseburg or
Oh okay. That might change things, If you can save up for it. It wouldn't have to be a tall shed. More like a night box but bigger to house him in winter. Take a look at Tom's night boxes, the 4x8 ones. If you could do two of those connected I would think that would be big enough for when he's bigger/adult size. @ZEROPILOT can confirm if that would be big enough for an adult.
I have seen good things made from skids that lots of times you can get for free. As long as you fill in the gaps and use caulk in-between where you fill in and also good insulation. It would have to be heated to though.
He still needs something bigger than what you have now until he can go outside in winter.
Can you go any bigger now? Or if you can rig a ramp on the outside of his enclosure that goes to a second level? The enclosure you have now I believe is too small for a ramp inside it to a second level. I think it would be too steep. You could try it though.
Good luck. I'm out of ideas lol. Hopefully Yvonne has one that will work for you.
I am going to talk to my husband when he gets home. I'm going to see if I can make a 3x5 work in the space I have for now.

ChelseaEHumphrey

Roseburg or
So if I build a night box do you allow him access to outside even in winter?