New Baby Sulcata!

McKay Higginbotham

Hi everyone! So happy to be on the forum.
I am 17 and I just received a new baby Sulcata in the mail today. So happy to finally be a mother! Anyways, I just need some key points in order to help keep my baby safe and healthy. Any main things I should know?
Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 23

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Hot and humid. Welcome to the forum. In the Sulcata section there are great care guides and information. He is very cute now, but will grow very quickly. Hydration is super important for these guys when they are little.

McKay Higginbotham

I read that I need to soak him for 10-15 minutes a day 3 days a week. Do I need to keep the water warm when I do this? And he has a water tray in his habitat that he can crawl into, but the water doesn't stay warm. Does that matter?

AnimalLady

I read that I need to soak him for 10-15 minutes a day 3 days a week. Do I need to keep the water warm when I do this? And he has a water tray in his habitat that he can crawl into, but the water doesn't stay warm. Does that matter?
Nope, doesnt matter if the water in his enclosure is warm.

What I like to do for my little guy... I use a dishwashing tub i got on Amazon, but Walmart has them super cheap too, I always soak him by the sink so the water access is right there. I'll get a plastic Solo cup and take out a cup or 2 at a time and refill with warm water. I keep this up for a good 15 minutes or so. I dont do the same for my adult, I soak him outside where the water kinda keeps its temp.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Welcome to the Forum, McKay!! Wherever you read that, toss it and please read our care sheets instead. What you've been reading is old information. We have the latest here on the forum. You'll find some very important reading pinned at the top of our sulcata section.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new baby.

In addition to the thread linked above, read these too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Your baby needs to be soaked every day.

Yo don't need to do anything special to keep the water in the enclosure warm because you should be keeping the whole enclosure warm day and night.

There is a lot of old, out-dated, incorrect info on sulcata care circulating around out there. Babies do not afford a lot of room for error, so make sure you've got every thing right straight away.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, McKay, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Read, learn, share, ask questions and have fun! :)