New "baby tortoise" owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddy's Girl

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! ;) I am new to this site. I have 2 baby Sulcatas that I adopted a couple of weeks ago and am in love! :). They are so adorable and fun to watch! This is my first time with little ones, so I would appreciate some tips on raising them properly in Salem, Oregon where we often experience cloudy days and some years a large amount of rainy days. I was also wandering what the average growth rate is for these little guys!
PHP:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
LOL!! Can't blame that on auto correct. But I think my tongue was covering my eye tooth and I couldn't see what I was typing.

Anyway...HI!!!

Maggie and Torie the Tort

5 Year Member
USA
Yvonne G said:
LOL!! Can't blame that on auto correct. But I think my tongue was covering my eye tooth and I couldn't see what I was typing.

Anyway...HI!!!

LOL HEHE!! Hello and WELCOME!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I suggest raising them in a closed chamber and simulating the African rainy season that they hatch into in the wild.

Pairs seldom get along and they would be much better off alone or in a group.

How fast they grow depends on a million or more factors. Any average is meaningless because the spread is so wide. Keep them warm, humid, hydrated and fed properly, and they tend to grow pretty fast. If yours were started dry, and your enclosure is like a desert, then you can expect them to grow very slowly.

Watch out for coil type UV bulbs an water bowls that are meant for snakes and lizards. Both can be hazardous to your tortoise.

Click the links in my signature for lots of sulcata info.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
hello and welcome, your getting the very best information above, from tom, follow his advice,read all of his links and you'll have some very happy, healthy babies! good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.