New owner of baby Russian tortoise

loloheilman

Hi there, my name is Laura and I live east of Portland Oregon. We have had our baby tortoise for 2 days. It came from Tortoise Supply and we are very pleased with the service they have provided. I am a nervous new owner btw. The first day the tortoise was active, ate a bunch and played outside for a bit. It is being kept inside in a Tortoise house. We have hides and a Mercury vapor bulb for day (12 hours). I am a bit concerned about night time although it will not dip below 70 probably. Both nights the tortoise has burrowed down for night as soon as light is off. I am considering a heat source at night. Makes me nervous that it could get too chilled. Thanks for listening.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Laura and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
If you do want to control night time heat a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat can help eliminate worry.

loloheilman

Thanks so much for the info. I am just wanting the best for this little being. It is so cute and seems heathy. I need to bring it in for a vet visit just to introduce to our vet.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the Desert !
m0754.gif

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks so much for the info. I am just wanting the best for this little being. It is so cute and seems heathy. I need to bring it in for a vet visit just to introduce to our vet.
Make sure you go to a recognized herp vet.
Sadly, many ordinary vets are worse than useless with tortoise care.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Ditto on the vet
Took my sulcata to a local vet and he thought the peaks ( pyramiding) was ". Interesting " and liked the looks of it.

I had to explain that the shell should be smooth , and that was from rather improper care before I got him. A 56$ charge later he gave me an eye ointment ( I requested ) for him I could have bought on line for 8$

No problem with a check up by an experienced herp vet.
But I suggest anything prescribed for him be checked out here. There are a dozen or more members with extensive medical experience caring for tortoises as well as a few vets.

I love veterinarians - almost became one myself. But a second opinion is always a good idea.
Good fortune to you