New Baby

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I saw a three toe digging a nest back on June 1st so later I dug the eggs up (3) and put them into the incubator. After a week one of them collapsed and I tossed it. Today I found this:

baby box turtle 8-4-19 b.jpg
baby box turtle 8-4-19 a.jpg

At only two months, he's a month premature. The other egg was clear. I don't know why the eggs collapsed. this little guy's egg was collapsing too, probably why he hatched. The vermiculite was moist. This little guy has a pretty large yolk still attached. I've never had baby box turtles with a yolk not absorbed - leopards, yes, but not box turtles. I've done something wrong, but I don't know what. The temperature was about 85F, the vermiculite was moist and there were two cups of water in the incubator.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This baby presents a big problem. He's SO tiny. How on earth am I going to set him up? Here he is next to a baby leopard that hatched on the same day:

baby box turtle 8-7-19.jpg

For the time being I'm going to keep him in that little tub, but the tub isn't big enough for any plant for him to hide under. A bigger tub and he will get lost.

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
I saw a three toe digging a nest back on June 1st so later I dug the eggs up (3) and put them into the incubator. After a week one of them collapsed and I tossed it. Today I found this:

View attachment 277925
View attachment 277924

At only two months, he's a month premature. The other egg was clear. I don't know why the eggs collapsed. this little guy's egg was collapsing too, probably why he hatched. The vermiculite was moist. This little guy has a pretty large yolk still attached. I've never had baby box turtles with a yolk not absorbed - leopards, yes, but not box turtles. I've done something wrong, but I don't know what. The temperature was about 85F, the vermiculite was moist and there were two cups of water in the incubator.

Wow- It is so straightened out. When my torts hatch they are folded in half.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
For a hide how about a terra cotta flower pot buried half way laid on its side. Would be hard to push around and stay damp inside pretty well.