PLEASE HELP ME

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Please help me my baby box turtle egg would of been 60 days old on the 27th of this month on my incubator that was doing great but I went to check on the egg yesterday morning the egg was split and he was still moving I put him on paper towels that are warm moist and shaped as a small donut his yolk sac was as big as him almost today he seems the same he's opening his eyes more but I don't know what to do to help him or make sure he's ok please help me the 1st pic is yesterday when he was first out of egg 2nd & 3rd pic is today and he used the bathroom somtime throughout the night also

Attachments

• IMG_20230816_103827353.jpg
    IMG_20230816_103827353.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230816_103827353.jpg
    IMG_20230816_103827353.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230817_105923081.jpg
    IMG_20230817_105923081.jpg
    706.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230817_110017826.jpg
    IMG_20230817_110017826.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 3
Indiana
T
@Tom
Keep him moist and warm and let him absorb the yolk sac for now
Hopefully Tom can help you further.
hank you and I am but please anyone with the anything else please help me he's strong he's making it just need to know what else I may need to be doing to help him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please help me my baby box turtle egg would of been 60 days old on the 27th of this month on my incubator that was doing great but I went to check on the egg yesterday morning the egg was split and he was still moving I put him on paper towels that are warm moist and shaped as a small donut his yolk sac was as big as him almost today he seems the same he's opening his eyes more but I don't know what to do to help him or make sure he's ok please help me the 1st pic is yesterday when he was first out of egg 2nd & 3rd pic is today and he used the bathroom somtime throughout the night also
Hatching is a process, not an event. You should have left the baby alone in the incubator. It can sometimes take two or three days from the first pip until they are ready to come out of the egg. Water under the bridge now, but next time leave the baby alone until it comes out of the egg under its own power. You can add water to the media when you see the first pip, but other than that, leave them be.

The important thing now is to be extremely careful with the yolk sac. Keep it on damp paper towels and change them out once or twice a day, but be super careful that you don't damage the yolk sac. I'd keep the container with the paper towels in the incubator. Once the sac is mostly absorbed, use a brooder box set up for at least 7-10 days until the umbilical scar closes up.

More here:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G might be able to help.
I don't think much needs to be done until he absorbs the sac. When it is absorbed, put some food in with him. No live worms, unless you watch him eat them and remove if he doesn't.
Give Tom and Yvonne a chance to respond.
If I can think of the others that might know anything about box turtles, I will send them an alert. My mind is blank on them.

Indiana
Well I didn't take him from the egg his egg was split when I checked on them yesterday morning I didn't know what to do so I brought him out the rest of the way and this is where Im at with him praying all goes well and it makes it I'm just praying so anything you know or advise I appreciate really