new boxie ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelub

5 Year Member
Well, not new new, but maybe new to us :)

My gf's mom has had this boxie for quite a few years and mom is getting to the point where she doesn't want to care for it anymore. It hasn't been given the best habitat or diet (small box with wood chips and fed mostly cat food) but she did hibernate this winter (in the box, not buried) so she must be fairly healthy, right? Her mom also lets it out in the yard under supervision when its nice out. And it does get to roam about the house, so s

My GF said she feels very light compared to our boxie which is kind of understandable given her living conditions and diet. This boxie will be coming home with us. We're not sure if we will keep it or rehome it. The main reason we wouldn't keep it is if its a female, I don't think we want our male 3 toe mating with this and mixing up the genes. And we don't really have enough space for 2 separate turtle enclosures in our apt.

I still haven't identified this new one yet. Maybe ornate? FWIW she has 4 back toes. The shell coloration almost looks like a radiated tortoise. I didn't realize how pretty it is (been a while since I had been to mom's house). GF thinks she's showing signs of MBD but I'm not sure. I'm waiting to get pictures of her underside and tail.

Here is "snapper"
snapper001.jpg

snapper002.jpg

snapper003.jpg

snapper004.jpg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Looks to be an ornate, they are smaller then others they also eat lots of bugs more then easterns or 3 toeds.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
definitely a sweet (and probably fiesty) ornate. the shell does look like its showing some mbd. check out www.aboxturtle.com for the best ways to house/feed/care.

if you post a pic of the underside/tail, am sure we can help you determine gender.

thelub

5 Year Member
Thanks for the pointers! I bet she'll liven right up once we start her on a better diet and get into a better enclosure. From what I read on aboxturtle.com it seems its a girl. The tail is smaller and narrower than our male 3toe's tail. I'm still waiting for pics of underside and tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.