New Close Enclosure!

Jorge Moreno

Hello, everyone!

A few days ago I received my two beautiful Het to Hypo Red Footed tortoises from the Tortoise Cove. I built a new close enclosure for them and I thought it would be a good idea to share it.

Thanks,

Jorge

Attachments

• DSC00098.JPG
    DSC00098.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 47

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
holy moley paint me green im truly jealous.

did you have any enclosure building experience before this? what are the dimensions?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Lovely! Mind you glass is not recommended for tort enclosures, as the tort would keep trying to get out.

And welcome to the forum!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Lovely! Mind you glass is not recommended for tort enclosures, as the tort would keep trying to get out.

And welcome to the forum!

that's a misconception i'm not saying it's good but i wouldn't go so far as to say its bad i use glass on mine and know several others that do to it's all about watching the tort and making sure they have a place to hide

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
that's a misconception i'm not saying it's good but i wouldn't go so far as to say its bad i use glass on mine and know several others that do to it's all about watching the tort and making sure they have a place to hide
If your tort is fine then fair enough.

Jorge Moreno

That is awesome! How long did it take you to build it?

Hi Rue!

It took me about a month and a half to complete the whole enclosure since I work on it in my free time. but, If I link all the hours I would said two weeks.

Reactions: Rue

Jorge Moreno

holy moley paint me green im truly jealous.

did you have any enclosure building experience before this? what are the dimensions?

Hi, naturalman91!

This is my first close enclosure I had built. The enclosure has three detachable parts; the base, mid section and top section.

base is 3 ft D x 6 ft W x 2 ft H, middle section 3 ft x 6 ft x 2 ft and top section 3 ft x 6 ft x 1 ft.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very very nice -concept thru completion (although I had a sneak peek);)
Job well done Jorge!!!......Did ya name your little ones' yet?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Awesome job ! I don't take any stock in the "glass issue" since from my personal experience it has never happened ! A lot of other people have noticed that it really is not a problem , maybe its time to consider it a non issue ? ;)

Rue

Canada
I think the glass is an issue...if that's all they are surrounded by...but that is not the case in this well planned enclosure.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I think the glass is an issue...if that's all they are surrounded by...but that is not the case in this well planned enclosure.
It could be an issue for you , from my experience with Speedy in his 60 gallon aquarium I am classifying it as an "urban legend" at least for a small Sully . I might further add that if the proper humidity for a hatchling sulcata is adhered to it really cant be an issue as they cannot see out of the steamed up glass !

100_7968.jpg

At least that is how it worked out in my situation ! :)

Rue

Canada
Lol...okay...steamed up glass...doesn't count. :D

I lined the inside of our vivarium with plywood. Seems to work for my Hermann's.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Not trying to hijack this thread , or demean the great job Jorge has done ! I made my statement about glass enclosures going by the original statement ;
!
I tried to explain how , in my situation it proved to be not true . I spoke from my experience and didn't feel it necessary to change the parameters of the original statement IE ; How much of the glass is open and can be seen through , or if some areas get fogged up it doesn't count . I don't ever wonder how conflicting statements occur , I see them daily , even when a person needs to change what was said to reinforce a possibly wrong opinion ! Everyone is entitled to an opinion , but that's all it is until its proven wrong by facts. In my case the facts I learned through many other qualified opinions , and my own experience proved this statement to be wrong !

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Holy guacamole! You have some truly spoiled torts!!!! Congratulations, great job! I have a glass cage for my tortoise, I had to line the sides and back with paper to keep her from clunking. If there's no clunking, there should be no problem! :) Can you take another picture so I can have a closer look at the stream??? And I'd love to see your tortoise photos!!!