Albino Red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

portsmouthtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire, UK
IMG_20130316_120446.jpgI have just picked up a hypo het red foot, I thought I would share a picture of my beautiful tortoise. I'd like to know people's thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice RF ...... although maybe just a "mis term" but the pictured tortoise is a true "Hypo" .....not Het for Hypo. Is that your animal? Very nice indeed .....!!!!
May I ask who produced that gem for you ?

<~~~~~Hip on Hypos :D

jd~

portsmouthtortoises

10 Year Member!
Hampshire, UK
Thank you. How can you tell that he's a true hypo? I got him from a reptile shop who unfortunately didn't have much information on where he came from. They are going to gather all of the information for me though. He is indeed mine.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
sulley13 said:
Thank you. How can you tell that he's a true hypo? I got him from a reptile shop who unfortunately didn't have much information on where he came from. They are going to gather all of the information for me though. He is indeed mine.

Well you did well my friend ... and I'm surprised a shop even had that speciman. Your animal is a true Hypo....just look at it's coloring! There are threads in the old "Treasure Chest" of info on here , that goes into detail about your question. Once again beautiful animal.
Congrads!

JD~

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-53058.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Sulley:

I really don't know much about hypo, etc. but if I'm remembering correctly, if the tortoise was het for hypo, he would be more "normal-colored" looking.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hey, Sulley:

I really don't know much about hypo, etc. but if I'm remembering correctly, if the tortoise was het for hypo, he would be more "normal-colored" looking.

You are absolutely right Y'vonne............:)

just some triva ...........
The Hypo gene is a recessive gene …..it takes two (hypos) to tango ….to produce a visual animal that is 100% hypo..

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
InvertaHerp said:
I am jealous! But mine is a special morph as well: clown face.
I’m sure a wonderful tortoise indeed, but the “clown face” is not a morph at all, but more or a “term” sellers use to mostly describe RF’s from the Columbia area. Through out South America
(Southern- Northern) different parts of the continent seem to hold true and produce “general type coloring and attributes” endemic to that range. Bolivians , Venezuela ect. Another example would be the
“Cherry Heads” another term for a Redfoot endemic to the area of Brazil.
(although this has been a long and learning process to actually see if this might truly be a sub species .)

Here is an Example of a Columbian …aka Clown
CLELVIS2-1_zps79ea9835.jpg

Others….

tth11.jpg

Venezuela

Terry-2-1.jpg

Brazil
cv10_zpse676668f.jpg

JD~

and once again Sulley one BEAUTIFUL Tortoise .....

EricIvins

5 Year Member
"Clown Faced" was the term coined for Venezuelan Redfoots when one company started to bring them in on a consistant basis. Colombians were never "termed" because the company that brings them in almost exclusively doesn't put fancy names on their animals. The only Colombians that are named are from Magdelana, because they are different from "typical" Colombians.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
excellent info Eric ...you being an importer.. I do know your well versed on "locality" perhaps some pics to show the differences?

abclements

5 Year Member
That is one awesome red foot!! Are there any differences in a hypo other than looks (size, temperament...)? Im just really curious!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
sulley13 said:
I have just picked up a hypo het red foot, I thought I would share a picture of my beautiful tortoise. I'd like to know people's thoughts.

Man you got one awesome tort.How old/ big is he/ she.Looks well taken care of nice and smooth.If you don't mind where did you get him like the name of the shop.From the looks of this tort they take care of there animals.Would like to check them out on line.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
abclements said:
That is one awesome red foot!! Are there any differences in a hypo other than looks (size, temperament...)? Im just really curious!

Nope .....all the same ...but like any unique living or material thing , it usually gets the most attention , thus with animals... tortoises in this case will become very social out of the group.

portsmouthtortoises

10 Year Member!
Hampshire, UK
mike taylor said:
sulley13 said:
I have just picked up a hypo het red foot, I thought I would share a picture of my beautiful tortoise. I'd like to know people's thoughts.

Man you got one awesome tort.How old/ big is he/ she.Looks well taken care of nice and smooth.If you don't mind where did you get him like the name of the shop.From the looks of this tort they take care of there animals.Would like to check them out on line.

Thank you. I'm not sure whether it is male or female yet and he/she is about 18 months old. I got him/her from Grange reptiles in Botley, their reptiles are very well taken care of and everyone in there seems to be genuinely interested in them.

portsmouthtortoises

10 Year Member!
Hampshire, UK
abclements said:

Thank you, he/she is just as curious and friendly as the rest. I don't think there are any differences besides the colouring but i've got a very long time to find out :D

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
he's precious! If you don't mind me asking, how much did he cost? I've looked online and they're pretty expensive

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
This is awesome! I wish I could happen to find some hypos at a local pet store!

Status
Not open for further replies.