New Digs for Harold!

highwaycatcher

Just finished this up today. I think I will make a few more changes but other than that it is mostly complete. I will be adding some grass chippings on top of the organic soil so he doesn't get too dirty. He seems very happy with his new place.

Attachments

• IMG_20140719_150506.jpg
    IMG_20140719_150506.jpg
    802.6 KB · Views: 53

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Sulcatas need pretty high humidity to grow smooth. Are you able to contol that with the top open?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty nice-looking habitat for Harold, but I'm thinking it's not very big for his size. Also, be on the look-out for him to be able to climb out. It looks like he might be able to reach the top of the wall with his front feet.

You've done a pretty good job of raising him. He looks great.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I like it. Maybe move all the "furniture" and plants etc. away from the walls so that he can't claim out. Also maybe to get more humidity you could cover part of it with plexiglass or make that big box a humid hide, if it isn't already. I'll definitely let the Humidity expert people comment more on that though. I think kiddie pools make some easy inexpensive enclosures.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Looks good, but as people have already pointed out ( ;) ) the walls are little short, and it might be hard to keep up with the humidity!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It looks like you put a lot of thought into that set-up. When I used to house my Red Foots indoors, I purchased "grass plugs" from Home Depot and planted them in my top soil and kept that area moistened. It worked out very well with the grass actually growing faster than he could graze on it. Damp area. Dry area. Hide area. Hot area, and an occasional water dip.