Yuri's New Digs!

Amber_Moon

Location (City and/or State)
Brevard County, Florida
It took my husband and I all day Monday and today to get the enclosure out on our porch constructed. Here it is! Yuri is my first tortoise and I hope this will be a good place for him. It is 5 feet two inches by four feet by three feet. Cypress mulch, organic soil and Eco-Earth. I have a heat lamp and a UVB light. Any comments or things I can do better, please let me know. I want him to be very happy here! :)

Finished.jpg homesweethome.jpg sowarm.jpg kingoftheworld.jpg checkingin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah. Ya just gotta' love the husband that'll spend that amount of time on his wife's hobby. Good job!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Russians cover a lot of ground in the wild. It would be better if it were bigger. Bigger is always better. Also, if he is on the porch, where he gets natural, unfiltered (no window or screen) sunlight, you don't need a uvb light. The enclosure does look nice.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
He is adorable! You do want it bigger as mentioned. Bigger is always better (frustrating, isn't it?!) I like to give my husband a few days of rest before breaking this type of news to him ("Honey, we need to re-do our last tortoise project...) For some reason I find wine and pizza rolls softens the blow a bit.

Great job!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nicely done.
I'd like to ad one thing since I'm also in your damp climate...
You'll need to wet down portions of your enclosure for humidity.
Before It's too late and that particle board lumber starts to break down, I would remove everything from inside and place either pond liner or a plastic shower curtain down as a moisture barrier. Staple it up on the sides just below the top of the substrate (for looks)
Once the wood starts to swell and rot it will be too late and you'll have to replace the wood.

Amber_Moon

Brevard County, Florida
The bottom is wood but we placed plastic on top of it and then put ceramic tile on top of that. The plastic goes up on the sides to just where the substrate stops and the door (for easier) cleaning starts.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I agree with the masses and think this is a really super enclosure but a little too small.