New Eastern Hermanns

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWDK

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Poconos, PA
As of this Friday I'll be the proud new owner oft first tortoise. It's a beautiful Eastern Hermanns that I purchased from Edna. I'm so excited to get the little guy.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Shipping is kind of nerve wracking. I just checked tracking and it says the little guy is at the UPS facility for pick up. Yay!!! but not quite yet.

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
He sure did make it just fine. Aside from a monster load of poop he was a trooper. I gave him a bath and scrubbed him with a toothbrush. Then he got a 30 warm soak. He's been outside ever since getting some sun and destressing a bit. I gave him a plate of mixed greens and to my surprise he actually ate. It was spring mix, mustard greens and turnip greens.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Oh, Cream will always be the first to the table. He'll be up in the morning waiting for you to feed him, too. Pics, soon? And a new name? Will he be named after Eric Clapton's band forever?

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Here is a few min after his bath and soak out side in the cage. He's a little confused I think.

75931f8d.jpg

Eating then he did go over to the plate and take a drink. At least I think he did.

02c46e5f.jpg

2508b8d1.jpg

I plan on a name change, but I need to get to know his personality better to pick the right name.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Very nice! Congrats on the new little guy! Im sure you will love him just as we all love ours! :)

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Thanks everyone! The dog cage is a temp outdoor enclosure until I finish his. I've already cleared the brush, rocks and cut down two trees so he will have more sun. I'll get to the lumber yard this week and finish it up.

Here are some more pics of him sleeping in his hide. Took these pics 5 min ago. He seems content.

cfac1c92.jpg

e79c8df7.jpg

Here are two pics of the area I cleared. It slopes slightly uphill. I left the ferns, can he eat them???

f4f89f86.jpg

469432aa.jpg

Is this dry food ok to feed?

a5a5d152.jpg

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I was hoping someone would answer your question about the food. I haven't tried that kind with the torts, but there are folks on the forum who use it. I just don't know if they're using it with Hermanns.
Ferns in the enclosure should be fine.
Koval-T1 looks great in the pictures. I'm sure the wire did confuse him some.
How was the reptile show? Did you find anything wonderful?

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
I've decided to name him Leroy. He's been doing very well and spending lots of time outside. He eats like a pig!!! I'm absolutely shocked at how much torts eat. They are like little cows with shells.

The show was good, but super hot! I didn't buy any reptiles this go around. However I did get lots of supplies and a big bag of Mazuri. I'll mix that other dried food in with the Mazuri.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
A few soaked pellets each day, or every other day, will fill up his tummy and cut back on how often you have to buy greens. Leroy's a great name!
I would think they would need to control the climate at a reptile show. It was 48 degrees here yesterday morning, with a high of 79.

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
It was hot here yesterday. Inside the show it was prob 100 degrees. They had all the doors open and huge fans, but with hundreds of people it's hard to control the temps.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
SWDK said:
Thanks everyone! The dog cage is a temp outdoor enclosure until I finish his. I've already cleared the brush, rocks and cut down two trees so he will have more sun. I'll get to the lumber yard this week and finish it up.

Here are some more pics of him sleeping in his hide. Took these pics 5 min ago. He seems content.

cfac1c92.jpg

e79c8df7.jpg

Here are two pics of the area I cleared. It slopes slightly uphill. I left the ferns, can he eat them???

f4f89f86.jpg

469432aa.jpg

Is this dry food ok to feed?

a5a5d152.jpg

Wouldn't feed him that stuff very often, but when you do, soak it, then mix it with greens and/or a quality tortoise kibble (some recommend Mazuri, but they've recalled a lot of Mazuri products lately...I find my 4 prefer soaked Marion Tortoise Sticks better, anyway).

And nopales (cactus pads) is good tasting to them, as well as an excellent source of calcium!

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Here's two pics of Leroy enjoying some greens. He's looking pretty good I think.

777E0527-FC98-45B8-A916-3C063247D39D-700-0000009EF6DE84E9.jpg

14E83E23-20A5-4CBC-8B8B-A7F9E07E1EB0-700-0000009EF0E44153.jpg

Some seed mix starting to grow. Hope he likes it.

0072FC79-158C-4F7E-BD2C-CB3DCEF31AE3-700-0000009EEAA64C28.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.