New enclosure idea?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What type of tortoise?
Keep in mind that most tortoises will walk the parameter of the enclosure. Just keep doing laps all day long. It's for this reason I would suggest not having anything right up against the walls.
Also, keeping a small pool like that will be very hard to keep clean. But I'd like to see it built!;)

Rylatts

UK
What type of tortoise?
Keep in mind that most tortoises will walk the parameter of the enclosure. Just keep doing laps all day long. It's for this reason I would suggest not having anything right up against the walls.
Also, keeping a small pool like that will be very hard to keep clean. But I'd like to see it built!;)

I have a 1 Year old Spur-Thighed Tortoise (Testudo graeca).

Yeah that did cross my mind, i might change the plan a little bit to have it in the middle instead.

I was hoping the filter would keep it clean for the most part, i planned to have a fine mesh with stones on top to prevent anything clogging it up.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I've tried a similar water feature in a larger enclosure and it was a total pain to maintain indoors and had to be removed. The tortoise will poop in the 'pond' portion and trample the stream. A filter small enough to work with that low a water volume can't help you with all of the substrate that will be knocked into the stream and pond.

Rylatts

UK
I've tried a similar water feature in a larger enclosure and it was a total pain to maintain indoors and had to be removed. The tortoise will poop in the 'pond' portion and trample the stream. A filter small enough to work with that low a water volume can't help you with all of the substrate that will be knocked into the stream and pond.

I think i'm going to scrap the idea and wait until i have a bigger area outside :)

Rylatts

UK

Rylatts

UK
I scrapped the idea of having a stream, here is how it's looking at the moment :)

Still need to make a roof but i'm going to be using parts from the old enclosure, once i have got Sheldon used to the new one i will transfer him over. Don't want him to be too stressed with a new environment.

(The substrate has dried out a lot now)

IMG_20170301_141552.jpg
IMG_20170301_141515.jpg
IMG_20170301_141505.jpg