New enclosure plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
I've been doing a few scribbles of what I think my new tort enclosure should look like.
This is what I have so far, suggestions welcome!
3 stacked enclosures, each 6ftx3ftx1ft
1ft space between each
Total unit size 5ft tall x6ft x3ft
Hinged framed Perspex at front with a 4inch lip for extra access space on each enclosure
Two framed lids on each, one with Perspex, one with wire mesh for basking lamp
Will probably mount UVB tubes to back walls or enclosures
May need extra vertical supports for weight.
Have a look if you can make out pics, what you think??

45ea1ea1d0c1ca2670f0dc641b9b2bcf_zps62e43b33.jpg

351b6c3be7fc2ac4b47ab5b9cf50a779_zps13f3c61b.jpg

Lids are hinged

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would imagine that 12 inches depth of each of the enclosures may be a little shallow---I mean, if you put the substrate at 5 to 6 inches there is not much height/enclosure wall remaining---you know what I mean? That is the only thing that stood out to me though :D

Awesome, I wish I was handy in drawing what I wanted to build...:D

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Your drawing is much prettier then mine was >.< Are your corner supports spec'd for 2"x2"? That's what it looks like but I'm not sure. Also, if you hinge the tops half way back, it'll offer access a little better, instead of a incline over 3'. Besides that, the only thing I'm questioning is how the corner supports work with the box frames and in turn the structural integrity it provides. Looking amazing so far!

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
ascott said:
I would imagine that 12 inches depth of each of the enclosures may be a little shallow---I mean, if you put the substrate at 5 to 6 inches there is not much height/enclosure wall remaining---you know what I mean? That is the only thing that stood out to me though :D

Awesome, I wish I was handy in drawing what I wanted to build...:D
Yeah I know, I want to make them deeper but don't really want the overall height to be much more than 5ft so I can access and see in the top. I think the extra depth for the enclosures is going to have to come from inbetween each :s
Thanks for input :)

Lasciels Toy said:
Your drawing is much prettier then mine was >.< Are your corner supports spec'd for 2"x2"? That's what it looks like but I'm not sure. Also, if you hinge the tops half way back, it'll offer access a little better, instead of a incline over 3'. Besides that, the only thing I'm questioning is how the corner supports work with the box frames and in turn the structural integrity it provides. Looking amazing so far!

I was doing this at 3am so some of the bits aren't right and was kinda doing it as I went along. So I'm thinking to have the supporting frame coming through the inside of the enclosures (if that makes sense?).
I'm not familiar with the sizes the wood comes in so I would have to get all that info and tweak some sizes around but I imagine anything from 2" to 4" supports.
That's a great idea for the tops hinging half way back :) thanks I will include that in my next sketch :)

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Got a quote for this to be made, same as sketch apart from the distance below the front door is a good bit deeper for substrate. Carpenter also wants to use tempered safety glass instead of Perspex. I normally make everything myself so I don't know if this is reasonable?
£400 what ya all think?
WP_000205_zps2402fe8f.jpg

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Hmm so about $610....is that materials and labor or just labor? The glass would be easier to clean, won't scratch as easy. And if it breaks, it'll prevent your torts from getting hurt...unless that eat a piece o.o It's gonna add a nice bit of weight though.

I would also look into break down. You never know if or when you might have to move this thing so best to just plan ahead and see if there's a way to to make it so that it can be torn down into easy to manage pieces.

You can do it yourself later, but I would also put a latch of some sort (eyebolt and hook) on the top of each panel and the bottom of each platform. Then you can hold the lids open and free your hands for cleaning.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Lasciels Toy said:
Hmm so about $610....is that materials and labor or just labor? The glass would be easier to clean, won't scratch as easy. And if it breaks, it'll prevent your torts from getting hurt...unless that eat a piece o.o It's gonna add a nice bit of weight though.

I would also look into break down. You never know if or when you might have to move this thing so best to just plan ahead and see if there's a way to to make it so that it can be torn down into easy to manage pieces.

You can do it yourself later, but I would also put a latch of some sort (eyebolt and hook) on the top of each panel and the bottom of each platform. Then you can hold the lids open and free your hands for cleaning.

Yeah it's gona be really heavy! I want to do it but I'm really anxious, I've told the guy it needs to be strong and safe but I'm worried it collapses and kills my torts! I over think things but I can't help it.
That is materials and labour.
It would need to be possible to construct and deconstruct as I plan to move house at some point, I should probably clarify that to the guy so thanks for mentioning that :)
I was going to half the lids (remember you suggested that before) but I felt that it was going to get in the way of the basking lamp so just left it. I will get hooks of some kind to help hold lids up but will just do that myself.
I guess my big worry is that I spend all that money and I'm too scared to put them in it incase it collapses and squishes them! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.