New Enclosure Size/Layout

Summerlilly05

image.jpg image.jpg Based on your helpful recommendations I have finally gotten Shelly (my adult Russian tortoise) into a bigger home. However, I still am (definitely) a novice tortoise owner and attached some pictures. I was wondering if two Zoo Med tortoise attached to each other would make a suitable home for Shelly. Inside of the enclosure, I have two half logs, some wood and rocks, two water dishes and a substrate of coconut coir with some hay. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
  • Two of them end to end is better than one, but still on the small side.
  • Russians are not grass eaters. They hay serves no purpose and should be removed. Your substrate needs to be damp, and the hay will mold.
  • What is in the two hoods? If one is a coil bulb, you should turn it off and replace it with a long tube for UV and light.
  • The rim on your food and water bowls is too tall and the sides too steep. I'd replace both with terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate.
  • Log hides are okay, but you tortoise also needs a humid hide.
  • Looks like spring mix in the food bowl. Broadleaf weeds, leaves and flowers of the right types are a better diet for your tortoise.